Repairing Pitted Fork Tubes

YamadudeXS650C

Central New York XS650
Top Contributor
Reaction score
The frigid season is truly upon us here in Central New York State, so its time to get wrenching full time.

The first of the bikes to be wheeled into the warm winter workroom is my '73 Yamaha DT3 Enduro "backyard bike".

DT3done2.jpg

I replaced the seals in the lower fork tubes last winter, but one of them leaked badly, apparently due to the significant pitting of the upper tubes.

The rusting in the pits is pretty deep, so the usual methods might not be effective. I decided to fill the pits with some sort of compound. I have read that some folks fill them with bondo, but I decided upon my favorite, JB Weld.

Here is an example of what I'm dealing with:

Pits1.jpg

First I used a sharp ice pick to dig out the rust down to clean metal.
Then I cleaned the pits with rubbing alcohol, followed by a burnishing with a small wire wheel dremel attachment.
Alcohol cleaning again.

Applied naval jelly, soaked for 30 minutes. Alcohol cleaning again.
Then I went outside for some fresh air. 😣

After drying thoroughly, I used a razor blade to putty in the JB Weld:

Pits4.jpg

12 hours later, I sanded the excess epoxy first with 800 Wet-or-dry sandpaper using WD 40 (so as to not introduce water), followed by 1200 grit.
It sanded down quickly and easily.

Pits3.jpg
Pits2.jpg

When I was done, with eyes closed I ran my fingers across the pits. The surface was completely smooth.

The shine of the chrome was slightly dulled, and the discoloration of the pits were evident, but heck, its just a backyard bike, and besides, I installed some gaiters to protect the tubes.

Pits5.jpg

Truck gaiters by Daystar, as recommended by 5Twins.

I'll take them apart next winter to check the status of the repair, and I'll report back the results.

Last edited:
Just thinkin' out loud...
J B Weld is pretty durable. As long as all the rust came out and gave a good bond to the epoxy, I think it'll be a good repair even for a daily rider... enough for a season or two anyway.

Just thinkin' out loud...
J B Weld is pretty durable. As long as all the rust came out and gave a good bond to the epoxy, I think it'll be a good repair even for a daily rider... enough for a season or two anyway.

Zackly what I'm thinking.
And taking these forks apart is easy as cake.

Gotta link to that particular size Jeff? I'm thinkin' those would look good on my DT.

5T has offered us a link previously. I've had these for a year or two.
Lets see if he signs in and provides it again.

BTW, I snipped off three of the sections to make them fit this bike.

In regards to chemical resistance, I wanted to make a structural repair to the carb on this DT3 which had a warped surface back in 3/21.
I called the tech department at the JB Weld company, which was a nice gal who was honest with me; she said, "Frankly, we don't test all our products, but if you would like to test it, please give me a ring as to your results."

So, I did the repair,

WD2.jpg

...and I put a chunk of hardened JB Weld into gasoline, and have checked it regularly. It is still fully intact today.

WD1.jpg
WD3.jpg

And the carb doesnt leak.

Last edited:
FWIW:
I tried the same JB Weld repair on a pitted '77 and later brake caliper piston. I think they are similar materials with similar finish? I think I did a pretty good prep job, although not as thorough as you did. Anyways, it was a complete failure, so much so that I never even installed it.

FWIW:
I tried the same JB Weld repair on a pitted '77 and later brake caliper piston. I think they are similar materials with similar finish? I think I did a pretty good prep job, although not as thorough as you did. Anyways, it was a complete failure, so much so that I never even installed it.
Was it exposed to brake fluid after the repair?

The fork boots I use are the Daystar brand .....

hcBMvfV.jpg

Here's the part number for the black ones .....

f7mCCNJ.jpg

Google "Daystar KU20002" and you'll get lots of hits. I've had some of these installed for over 20 years and never had one go bad or wear out yet.

Back