Right now I'm listening to...

Having a vinyl session tonight; on the Gyrodeck so far:
PETER GABRIEL #1 & #2 albums
NICK HEYWARD, NORTH OF A MIRACLE (amazing musicians including Pino Palladio / Dave Mattacks / Steve Nieve)
HALL & OATS, LIVE AT THE TROUBADOUR
Washed down with a bottle of Amarone 🍷
A. :devil:

Black Sabbath and the Who feeling young again
Hooked up a better HiFi that has been on the shelf for a long time and is waking up.
And all off a sudden there is stereo effects on the Who.
And the drummer is a heavy hitter
It was on a mono singles record player with the loudspeaker in the lid back then.

Can be digitally reworked

Black Sabbath also feels surprisingly fresh . At least in comparison with others from that time.
Perhaps both those bands could have made it even today.
But that is just a cultural opinion

In a better world this album made it to #1 in the UK. I don't see it happening ever again. The greatest live album in the history of rock n roll, and the main reason my yearly hearing tests show moderate hearing loss.

Black Sabbath and the Who feeling young again
Hooked up a better HiFi that has been on the shelf for a long time and is waking up.
And all off a sudden there is stereo effects on the Who.
And the drummer is a heavy hitter
It was on a mono singles record player with the loudspeaker in the lid back then.

Can be digitally reworked

Black Sabbath also feels surprisingly fresh . At least in comparison with others from that time.
Perhaps both those bands could have made it even today.
But that is just a cultural opinion
I think if they were to come out right now as a new group as they were back then they would dominate the airwaves
hell old bucks like me will still go see those old bucks perform today even after all these years

I think if they were to come out right now as a new group as they were back then they would dominate the airwaves
hell old bucks like me will still go see those old bucks perform today even after all these years
With you there Mikey. My childhood to teen years started with the Beatles (didn’t we all) Buddy Holly, Mario Lanza and Doris Day to Led Zeppelin, Jethro Tull, King Crimson etc.... Today I listen to the likes of Cherry Ghost, Peter Gabriel, Nick Heyward, Sara Barellis etc...and everything in between. All learnt their trade the hard way, and Talent always shines through. Check out Live at Daryl’s House (Daryl Hall) for a mix of live old meets new music on YouTube.

Well for me what I'm listening to tonight is an old 7 inch reel to reel tape. It's of a Rochester NY FM rock radio station recorded off the air at 1 7/8 inches per second on 11/10/1971 so sound quality isn't the best. However it's a bit of a flash back, Howard Cosell just finished his report!

Back then I was one of those guys who would pirate music by recording broadcasts like this one then transfer the songs I wanted to save over to cassettes for use in my car. Now I have been using YouTube and such to find and copy the music over to CD's for use in the car. That is much faster and sound quality is also much better than the old cassettes!

James Taylor-Long Ago and Far Away, just finished, kind of fitting huh?

I'll check that out
On Youtube check out the house of Strombo he has a John Prine concert that looks like it's in his house
Good concert if you like Prine

Comes to think of the Blues Brother Movie

Bar owner states we have both kinds of Music Country and Western
We also had that Blues and Rock

With one exception I can remember the boys played
Merle Haggard Okie from Muskogee
perhaps because it worked at the Saturday Night . Dances Not so different from what the Dance bands played here. This Little slower.

Bar owner states we have both kinds of Music Country and Western
... Dances Not so different from what the Dance bands played here. This Little slower.
I noticed a lot of countries in Europe have their own domestic versions of country music, including the cowboy hats and rhinestone jackets. Not a totally American thing like I thought

Last night I watched a fascinating documentary about the unsung heroines of electronic music, the women who built some of the first synthesizers and composed some of the original music in the 40's, 50's and 60's.

1644714973896.png

1644715006911.png

1644715041269.png

1644715074782.png

1644715108416.png

I learned that the 1956 science-fiction film “Forbidden Planet,” (which I've seen at least 10 times) was the first full-length feature to use only electronic music.
The composer was BeBe Barron. She literally created all the sounds/music in the film, primarily by overloading transistors.
Interestingly, the Musician's Union at the time refused to let her call her work "music", so the film only recognised her as having come up with "Tonalities".

1644715266084.png

Take a listen:

Attachments

• 1644715699518.png
    1644715699518.png
    793.8 KB · Views: 57
Back