Riser Bushing, Bushings, Inserts, Damper

kvanderploeg

The Dutch Terror
Reaction score
Not sure what everyone else calls them, but I call them riser bushings. The bushings on my '80 feel a little sloppy. I'm looking for some replacement solid bushings to press into the tree. Maybe even some high quality polyurethane replacements. Anyone have any links? Thanks!

Kent

I've tried this before. No one seems to make a nice urethane bushing. I ended up making my own with stock from McMaster Carr.

Yeah, thats what I thought too. BTW, the aftermarket Mikes ones suck ass. Make your own if you have, or know someone with a lathe.

My family owns a machine shop. This could be something I could produce if there is enough interest.

I have a great interest in a set of these! A lot of other bikes have them available. Let me know if this is something you could make. Might have found your market niche!

Kent

Well, they're kinda on the bike now, so very hard to see. But I pretty much copied the factory ones, but with a different size inner diameter to take the tubing that accepts a 1/2" bolt. I used generic risers that take 1/2 inch bolts. I just opened up the holes in the factory washers and reused those. Then I drilled the 1/2 bolts for safety wire. Really easy to make with a lathe. Polyurethane is kinda pricey though. You could probably make them out of neoprene and save some cash.

Much ado about nothing. To firm up your bars, buy a few 1-1/4"x1/2" washers at the hardware store, install them inside the bar post castings, and reinstall the OEM washers. The 1/2" ID will clear the shoulders on the bar posts so that pressure can be applied to the rubber dampers when you torque down.

Back