Separation of Carb Holders (Carb Joint) From Brackets (Carb Joint Cover)

YL82

Perpetual Restorationist
Reaction score
Is there a safe (or preferred) methold to separate damaged/worn carb joints from what Yamaha refers to as the "carb joint covers" (i.e., brackets)?

I assume they can be taken apart since Yamaha lists the parts separately.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Intake_Manifold.jpg
    Intake_Manifold.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 178
If it's the metal outside you want to save, you could just heat it up. Or you could drench it with pb blaster and see what it does. It it was from Mike's you could just put ethanol on it :)

Of course they just pull off. I assumed yours was stuck. I'll let this be a lesson: assume nothing.

xjwmx,

You assumed correctly!!

The brackets or covers were indeed stuck around the holders. I had never separated them before, so I posed the question before I did something stupid like bending back the metal sections.

At your suggestion, I used a penetrating oil (actually Liquid Wrench Pen. Oil instead of PB Blaster). and they pulled apart with ease. Separating them dry was going to be an effort and potentially cause me to bend metal or prying with a screwdriver. :eek:

Thanks for your spot-on suggestion!

Follow-Up questions on the carb holders:

1) See image: The two protuberances (yes, that's a real word!) or raised areas: Any significance to those? What are they for?

2) I've had my carbs off for months and have completely forgotten how the carb holders go back on. Of course, there's only 2 possible ways they can go back on.... On my XS650C, the bolt holes are at about a 35-40 degree angle. Does the thicker or higher section of the holder go towards the bottom? In other words, how do I ensure that I've put the carb holders on correctly?

Sorry for the stupid questions!

Attachments

• Carb_Holder_Left.jpg
    Carb_Holder_Left.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 167
xjwmx,

You assumed correctly!!

In that case the lesson is the opposite: assume everything!

As for how they go on, I'm not sure if your year angles or not. If so, they go the way that would make the carb the most level. Plenty of pics of motors around if they would help.

That makes perfect sense. I'll just put holder onto a carb (still re-building them) and fit it up to gasket surface and go with the way that appears most level. I would guess that having the holder on upside down will put the carbs at an obvious (and incorrect) angle...

The covers are marked L R, hope that helps....
The protuberances (how often I use that word) fits a matching protuberance (there it is again) on the carb.
Covers and clamps are stainless and polish up beautifully.

You learn by doing, yep, but you ALSO learn by LOOKING!

Indeed, gggGary, the metal brackets are marked L & R, the carb holders/joints are also marked L & R and the protuberances on the holders line up on top where there are metal protuberances on the carb bodies.

So there's no way one can mount these incorrectly.

I've attached some images so it may help others not ask the same silly questions that I have.

Thanks, gggGary!

Attachments

• IMG_0487.jpg
    IMG_0487.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_0488.jpg
    IMG_0488.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_0489.jpg
    IMG_0489.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_0492.JPG
    IMG_0492.JPG
    196 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_0493.jpg
    IMG_0493.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_0494.jpg
    IMG_0494.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_0495.jpg
    IMG_0495.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
Are these oem Yamaha inners? The jbms don't use outers. Would be good to know a source besides those two that holds up to gasoline.

I assume that I have OEM holders, though I'm not 100% sure about that.

Please forgive my ignorance, but what's "JBMS"?

Yep, I just realized a couple mins ago that when I opened up a link that Blue had posted with regards to carb diaphragms and proper seating thereof....

Thanks!

Back