Should I remove engine for hardtail install?

Ccanady

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So Ive searched around on here and have found little information about it. Some guys did and some didn't. Before I begin cutting and welding anything, I was wondering if it would be best to leave the engine in the frame or to just remove it. And what's the procedure to make sure it's aligned right before I permanently weld it? Im having my dad do the welding since he does it for a living, but he doesn't really know anything about alignment. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Chris

Depends on the hard tail and what you feel comfortable with. You can leave the engine in to help with alignment or you can build a jig to hold the frame in place. Also it depends on how easily you can or cannot move an entire frame and engine as opposed to just a frame and jig. Really, its up to you on how you want to make sure everything is aligned.

If you have a way to build a proper jig, then I would do that. Its easier to transport, move, weld, and it shouldn't take too much time. However, if you don't have a proper way to do that, then I would leave the engine in. I would remove any of the ignition components so you don't have any problems, however unlikely that may be.

The engine or jig only keeps the backbone from springing. I would keep it in when making the critical cut. As for everything being aligned, that's up to the guy welding. The way i did mine was to take a few measurements. I think it was from the end of the plug ends to the axle plate and so on. Get er tacked up good than take the engine out for final welds. I might add that my motor was just empty cases as i was rebuilding it at the time.

Thanks for the feedback. I think leaving the engine in the frame until its tacked in would be easiest. Sounds like more people do that then the jig anyway.

We always leave it in until its good and tacked together. Also be sure to put a block spacer between the axel tabs or it will pull in when welding.

Back