Show me some broken frames...

I was worried about this same thing when it came to weld up my frame. I've welded on cars and such for years, but hearing all the horror stories online got me a little worried. I welded it anyway, taking my time and I haven't had any problems so far. I just check everything out when I go to jump on the bike. Hey I'm checking chain tension anyway, might as well check the bottom rails.

Well, that's just being smart, man. I've been welding for a long, long time, but I'm not a pro. I still check my welds. My brother is a pro, but I know he still keeps on eye on his, even though I know he hasn't had one give on any bike he's done. Ain't nothing wrong with a bit of caution.

Well, the reason I asked is that what you have for experience is a lot more than some of the guys on here who have never used a welder in their lives.

Give it a few years and then do that search again. You aren't finding any cases now because the average suburbanite welding hardtails in their subdivision garage is a completely new thing. It's only a matter of time.

I'm not saying that every guy that attempts a weld-on conversion is going to kill themselves, but there are a fair share of utterly incompetent, completely stupid, absolutely mechanically retarded boys out there thinking that MIG welding is so easy that anybody can do it, when that's not the case. The appearance of MIG welds can be deceiving as hell. (Maybe I should start encouraging guys to use a flux core welder...) :D

So Teebs, whats wrong with flux core welders?? Ive heard several guys on here say that is more than sufficient to use flux core to weld on a hardtail? Any truth to that??

XsC

Anything is sufficient as long as you know what the hell you're doing.

I was joking about the flux core rig. I figured if guys were using those they might not be as over-confident about their lack of welding skills as the flux core welds don't look all pretty. MIG welds can look beautiful and have zero penetration.

I think if you are a beginning welder, tacking the frame together and having a certified welder do the finish welding is a good idea.

I believe everyone should know their limitations. Those who are either too cocky or stupid to realise what their limitations are usualy find a way to eliminate their brand of DNA from the gene pool in one way or another.

My welding "skills" are as follows: if its thick steel I can make it stick together, but its ugly as hell, and I wouldnt trust it with my life. And if its thinner steel I am a pro at blowing holes in it! :wink2: I get friends to do my welding for frames, suspentions, and the like. I know what my limits are, and plan accordingly.

If you feel your good enough to weld what your life hangs on, then go for it, but dont take whats at stake lightly.

Trick on tubing is to not try and weld all the way around in one shot. Do it in eighths then quarters when you get better. Very few can do it all in one shot, takes skill!

Back