Single carb conversion tuning

Whiskeythrottle1

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Im new here, just finishing up a ground up bobber build with an xs650 with a 2 into 1 manifold. I’ve got a zenith 13859b carb off an old Harley I’m trying to run on it. I’m running into some issues with the jetting/tuning. I’ve played with the adjustable jets and it’s just not running right, Anyone have any experience with this that could throw some knowledge my way? Here’s the bike just for shits and giggles:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 247
might want to show us a close up of carb and manifold.
A 38mm non vacuum carb is pretty big for an XS650. Since the cylinders draw 360 degrees apart you don't really go up in carb size with just one carb. As Mr Grizzled will say a too big carb has poor vacuum signal means you typically need bigger jets than you'd think. But my first concern would be manifold design details.

Last edited:
Lots of cool touches on there, craftsmanship looks great! Got any heat shields 'tween exhaust n carb? Looks mighty warm round there from what I (barely) see.

Last edited:
Here’s the carb and the manifold, that’s kinda what I was thinking, that maybe this carb is just too big.

Can it be jetted down at all? Obviously tuning is not my forte and I’m not familiar with these carbs, it has an adjustable main jet and another jet coming in from the bottom (looks like the drain plug but it’s a jet)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 251
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 268
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 232
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg