Sparx capacitor Fail

Boons

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think my sparx capacitor shit the bed with less than hour of riding on it.

Bike died mid ride and wouldn't start back up again. Took her home and went thru all my connections and everything was good. Checked out the pamco and everything was good there also. I hooked up a very near dead battery in place of the Sparx, just barely enough to light up my test light. Gave her a kick and started beautifully. I have had the bike start numerous times with the sparx and never had a problem, today was the first day of riding it.

What would cause this? Or did I just get a faulty capacitor?

My wiring is pretty much identical to this diagram except that I have the 20 amp fuse before my ignition switch rather than after. Bike is a 1980 kick only pamco,HHB PMA.
simplifiedWiring_fuseblock.jpg

Capacitors of all sizes have become really shitty over the past few years. I've had an air compressor, air conditioner, a TV, and a clothes dryer all take a shit within a year and a half of new, all because of bad capacitors.

Well that sounds like my luck, anyone else had really early failures of sparx capacitors?

TonyC any word ??? are those the ones you got that boon linked to ??? After fixing my short in my wiring it seems as though my sparx cap has crapped out also need info asap.

Does linking two in parallel stop the lights from flickering or is it just a backup?

I PM'd him about your link this was his reply-"They look similar but with capacitors you need to suspend them or the vibration will shake them to pieces. Some say also hang them upside down. "

I would like to see a pic of his installation, I installed mine horizontally on the springy mount that comes with the sparx, figured that would have enough vibration dampening, who knows i'm at a loss 1/2 tempted to put the battery back in it.
:banghead:

My lights do not dim, I run turn signals, and I run a Boyer digital ignition which I was told would not work. Yes mine are suspended vertically on springs where they cannot touch anything. I run one on my BSA for years and it was a Lucas.

Got my new capacitors and still same result. Bike will start first kick with a near dead battery but nothing with the sparx. I find it hard to believe I have gotten three bad capacitors. Used to start beautifully with the sparx and now it doesn't and I have not changed anything.

Anybody have some leads/advice?

Do you have the head/tail loghts turned off? Its a bit harder for me to start woth my sparx with the lights on

Is your pma still charging?

Has to because that battery wouldn't produce a spark with the old Alternator.
Lights are off, there is no power going to anything but the ignition. Before this was happening I COULD start it with the lights on.

hook up your sparx then use wires from the battery (jumper cable style) to the capacitors to get it running, leave running for a bit changing the rpms. This will get the capacitors to take a charge, and yes make sure ALL lights are OFF when starting.

hook up your sparx then use wires from the battery (jumper cable style) to the capacitors to get it running, leave running for a bit changing the rpms. This will get the capacitors to take a charge, and yes make sure ALL lights are OFF when starting.

That's a badass Idea! Ill give it try thanks!

Back