Spring removal

bosco659

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Thought this may come in handy one day for many of us who are taking thing apart to fix or modify them. It’s a hack from the Ducati group. Many Ducati exhaust systems are made up of slip fit sections that are held together with springs. It actually works quite well. To disassemble the exhaust the springs must be removed. Most would use pliers but that damages the metal on the spring hooks. This hack involves the use of a zip tie. Simply thread the zip tie through the end of the open hook, loosely close the tie and now you have a loop you can stick one or two fingers in to pull the spring hook away from its anchoring point. When done, trim the tag end of the zip tie under the latching section and you can use it again. Hope the pictures make sense.

5667C485-DE91-4B89-85EE-11E983172E67.jpeg
5716C3ED-B7CE-47E4-B87F-4AA85FAC90F8.jpeg

I’ve used vise grips in a pinch.

I like that if in a bind.

Every decent 2 stroke exhaust I’ve been around had slip joints.

If buying new, many come with a puller. If not, they are only a few bucks.

Worth every penny. Especially if it’s hard to reach spot or an awkward way of having to pull the spring.

EFFC9A24-8706-40B0-9476-C9FB0FF481BF.jpeg

I’ve used vise grips in a pinch.

I like that if in a bind.

Every decent 2 stroke exhaust I’ve been around had slip joints.

If buying new, many come with a puller. If not, they are only a few bucks.

Worth every penny. Especially if it’s hard to reach spot or an awkward way of having to pull the spring.

View attachment 235780
Now I need to buy one of those.

Edit: just ordered two on Amazon 😀

Last edited:
Buy, BUY? :umm: :doh:

Pole barn nail, they are REALLY hard/tough gotta red hot the end to bend it. Washer and bit of broom handle. done
Strong enough for sidestand springs too.

View attachment 235822

:cautious::laugh2:
You should sell these. 😀 I paid $20 for two of the Chinesium tools (giving one to a friend).

Thanks Bosco for this zap strap idea. Should have said that in the first place before I made a joke of it.
I am definitely going to use this method next time I need to pull anything in a tight spot. The way I installed a side stand spring was scary. Funny how sometimes a solution is right in front of you but you don't see it.

Thanks Bosco for this zap strap idea. Should have said that in the first place before I made a joke of it.
I am definitely going to use this method next time I need to pull anything in a tight spot. The way I installed a side stand spring was scary. Funny how sometimes a solution is right in front of you but you don't see it.
Side stand spring is probably too hard a pull for this. Worked very well on exhaust springs.

I Use these types as first try ..cant remember needing a second method
grab the loop ..and can bend the spring a little elastically so it springs back.
Usually by just pulling hard. .But it is possible to use it with leverage putting something in between on the outside
but rarely need to do it.
Side stand and exhaust springs It works for me.

That type pliers is very common here the third or fourth tool entering the toolbox
very useful .Plumbing / Sheet metal and so on
after
Hammer / Measuring tape / Screwdriver / Adjustable wrench ---And then that type.

1676823710977.png

Back