Stand broke - Honda dropped

LTGTR

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I have a 2018 Honda CB1000R which has a single sided swingarm.
I had a machinist make me an improved pin for the Single Sided Swingarm Stand which he suggested he would use 6000 (??) Aluminium.
This worked well for 2 years but sheared through the other day which dropped the bike and caused small but expensive damage.
I own the mistake and take full responsibility.
The only part I feel hard done by is the reason I had an improved pin made was because when the stand was new the manufacturer advised me to stop using their stand because they had had a pin failure - they attempted to make me a stainless steel one which was a disaster - I gave up and got a machinist to make me one (that broke).
I talked to the manufacturer the other day (to tell them what had happened) and they advised me they had made an improved pin ages ago, but I was never imformed of this - this will be my arguing point with them - they are nice people and very easy to get along with so Im not going to get all pissed off with them - my angle will be "you owe me a functioning pin".
Anyway - the bike can be repaired, $500 excess on my insurance and life goes on.
Regards Ray.
A couple of snaps for you enjoyment.

Attachments

• P1040391.JPG
    P1040391.JPG
    238.9 KB · Views: 67
  • P1040392.JPG
    P1040392.JPG
    213.2 KB · Views: 65
Yeah, they can be grateful that all you're asking for is a new pin, given that their original was obviously wrong anyway.
They can also be grateful that it was your replacement that broke, and not theirs.
If I were them, I'd have a new pin in the mail to you tomorrow.

By the pictures if I se right there is no radius at the bottom where it broke
That is poor design and poor professionalism
Unusual poor. Maybe even recklessly poor.
Not sure about the English word but it creates a sharp edge at the bottom which creates
high local, stresses. If brittle material the catastrophe is near -- Would not get approval at a design office at an experienced manufacturing company

By the pictures if I se right there is no radius at the bottom where it broke
That is poor design and poor professionalism
Unusual poor. Maybe even recklessly poor.
Not sure about the English word but it creates a sharp edge at the bottom which creates
high local, stresses. If brittle material the catastrophe is near -- Would not get approval at a design office at an experienced manufacturing company
Agree with Jan. Looks like there's no radius at all at the cut down. Just a sharp corner.... referred to as a stress riser.

Back