starts ok, into first then dies ?

spitfire

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bike giving me more grief.

to recap. got the bike running ok but a bit lumpy when the throttle was off. then i ran out of fuel and couldnt get it started. eventually i unscrewed the drain bolt in bottom of carb and the fuel had lots of black specs and other crap in it so i took off the float bowls and gave them a good clean and blew out the pilot jets. i also cleaned out the fuel filters in the tank and put fresh rubber fuel hoses on and put inline fuel filters in.

so now she will starts ok (ish) and ticks over at around 1500, i put it into first then ride away for maybe a foot or two then it just dies . any ideas why ?

when i ran the tank dry and it sucked lots of rubbish through into the bottom of the carb, could that rubbish have gone further on into the carb or is cleaning out the fuel float bowl adequate.

loosing what patience i have and am considering writing out a cheque and getting a professional to sort it (although i would rather not, as i hate parting with cash).

thanks

nik

It's hard to say. You don't give the year. If you just sit there and rev it up does it die? Some later years have a safety switch on the side stand. Now I don't know how the ones on a later model XS work (mine doesn't have one) but on my 90 Virago you could start it but it would die when you let the clutch out as the bike thought the side stand was down when it wasn't.
Is it possible fuel is not getting to the carbs thru more dirt in the tank /filters/petcock? Pull the fuel line off a carb to see if fuel flows? Definitely it is possible more stuff has gotten further into the carbs.
Is there a member with an XS in your area that might be willing to help?

I'd start by cleaning and syncing the carbs, making sure the fuel line, fuel filter, and gas tank were clean and making sure the clutch cable was adjusted properly...

Back