Stock sidestand replacement, shouldn't be rocket science ?!?!

Evilclone13

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought a stock sidestand replacement from MikesXS, and for some reason the spring that came with the kit was about an 1/8" too long. The spring would just fall off with the stand down. So I shortened up the spring to maintain tension, and now the sidestand will not stay in the "up" position?!?! This really shouldn't be rocket science, what am I doing wrong here? :wtf:

Attachments

• IMG_0465.JPG
    IMG_0465.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_0464.JPG
    IMG_0464.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 144
From the look of your pic I think you have the part the spring hooks on that holds the stand on, on wrong. It should be on so the pin the spring hooks on to is up top not on the bottom.
I looked at my 81 as well as the pics on Mike's. That part has a hole with flat sides and can be put on two ways, your is upside down.
Leo

Go figure, I put the new one on the way the old one came off. (That would not stay up either!!!) Thanks again XSLeo, I will be fixing this issue right now. :banghead:

Yep that part is upside down. When you turn it over you will think the spring is too short then! But it isn't. There's an easy way to get it on using mini-vicegrips and a screwdriver. If you shortened your spring too much, they're still available new from dealers.

Thanks again for the imput, I turned the post around and the sidestand works like a charm. Now I'll be able to ride without worry of the sidestand dropping down! :bike:

Back