"stopper" mechanism spring?

JoesXS

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, sorry for not searching the forums more thoroughly, but I have a question.

I have my clutch side cover off my engine and I noticed there seems to be a spring missing from part of the shifter/clutch mechanism. All the manual seems to say about this thing is that it's called the "stopper mechanism". What does this actually do and where can I find a replacement spring? Is it common for this spring to come off? There's a pretty clear mark on the engine case where it looks like the thing has been off and rubbing the case for a while so I don't think it came off when I removed the engine or cover.

I took a couple pics if it helps.

Attachments

• 20140303_145346.jpg
    20140303_145346.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 209
  • 20140303_145627.jpg
    20140303_145627.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 187
That spring holds that wheel against the star shaped thingie on the end of the shift drum. Basically, it holds the tranny in any gear you put it in. Yes, you need it. Yes, it's common for it or that other little spring at the bottom left of your 1st pic to break. Mike'sXS sells them both.

ShiftSprings2.jpg

yeah I knew that's where it attached. there is a pic of it in the manual. it just doesn't explain what it actually does. will the bike still function properly without it? Like I said it looks like its been off for a while. I never noticed anything off with it.

I think the spring is lost because I did have the engine tipped and moved around while I was working on it. As far as I can see it's not hiding inside anywhere.

Thanks for the reply though. Any ideas if replacements are available? Or if another spring would work? I can get springs but I don't know how tight a spring it should be. I've had enough trying to match up springs on this bike after fighting with the ignition advance haha!

Thanks! I was on mikes xs I guess I should have done some legwork and looked a bit haha!

I did notice the last time I rode it before I took it all apart that it was popping out of second gear on me. I was thinking maybe I had a bent shift fork. Maybe it was that spring missing.

Oh I got it now I think. I guess the shift drum where the wheel sits slides in and out depending on the gear, and the little wheel sits in a different groove for each gear? Makes sense

Well kind of, the shift drum only turns, it has "wiggly" grooves that the shift forks ride in, as the drum turns it moves the forks one way and then the other to slide the gears into and out of engagement. The star holds the drum rotation to keep a shift fork and it's gear enguaged.

Here's a decent video Not XS but they all work about the same

idea_lightbulb_cartoon2.jpg

I think you have it now. Carry on.

sorry to thread jack here but i remember theres also some kind of adjustment you might have to do if your gears slip out somtimes ?

not sure about that. all i know is a bad shift fork can cause it. but it seems to me if the stopper built onto the shift drum isnt actually connected then it would slip out of gear also haha

I ordered the springs from mikes, hopefully theyll be here by the end of the week

Back