Stuff my dog says; on second thought I'll just build a race car

So, you took some running gear and a pile of metal and built a car! That tells me it's a legitimate car that you may drive on the street. Right?
I need to get it insured now, and still may get pulled over and yelled at by the cops before I get a mile down the road but it has a title and registration now so it's officially a car.

Spray paint and free time. I also changed wheel studs in the rear axle this morning. Plan is to do a VIN plate sometime today paint some more and then hopefully sometime this week have mirrors to install. There is a car show 8n a week that's right up the street and I'm thinking on taking this up there just to say it's been somewhere.

Attachments

• 20230617_133443.jpg
    20230617_133443.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 41
  • 20230617_133527.jpg
    20230617_133527.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 41
I like the color combination!
My older boy even told me last night he likes the colors. I did forget to include this picture for some reason.
20230617_190855.jpg

Also meant to update the files for the supercharger connections were sent for test cuts last Thursday so genuine progress on that front again for the first time in months. I do still want help with laser etching the switch panels, shifter trim, and a nice plaque for the drivers area (though I haven't actually worked on a layout for that yet) so hopefully I can still get those from my coworker at some point.....though I feel like the only way those are happening is if I learn the software myself.

Mirrors and insurance today, so road worthy for the weekend. If the weather cooperates I can go be really out of place at a car show Saturday morning.

Attachments

• 20230621_175217.jpg
    20230621_175217.jpg
    381.3 KB · Views: 42
  • 20230621_175302.jpg
    20230621_175302.jpg
    388.9 KB · Views: 39
  • 20230621_175720.jpg
    20230621_175720.jpg
    316 KB · Views: 40
  • 20230621_175733.jpg
    20230621_175733.jpg
    291.6 KB · Views: 42
Incredible build.
That ride is going to be right at home at a car show...
No doubt it will catch a LOT of eyeballs and be the subject of much conversation.
Congratulations!
It's a show sponsored by a stereo shop so kind of intentionally out of place for me. Being held not much more than a mile than from the shop though so it's an excuse to take the car somewhere.

Successful venture out this morning. The car show was literally right up the road, probably 2 miles away or less, but it's the furthest I've taken the car from the shop by far. I had my wife follow me and she said you can see the brake lights just fine even despite the bright morning sunshine so everything is good on that front.
The show itself was small but there was some interest in the car with one person even telling me it was the coolest thing there. I was extremely out of place which I expected, nothing else there was really what I'd call extensively modified let alone hand built. A handful of folks stopped for fairly in depth conversations about it.
The most interesting aspect of the day was my wife admonishing me for speeding so badly going over which was news to me. I'd done the math to approximate speed to indicated RPM and thought I was well within good taste that way. Near as I can tell though my 6 cylinder tachometer isn't set up for 6 cylinders though. If it's actually an 8 cylinder model actual RPM is a third higher than indicated which would explain the speed. It also explains what struck me previously as an unexpectedly low amount of lateral grip in the loop near work. What I thought was 35mph though is apparently closer to 50mph though and suddenly the grip level seems appropriate. I must remark though given apparent actual speed I'm even more impressed with myself having built this.

20230624_090000.jpg

Glad you had a great outing.
Get used to people wanting to converse about your creation whenever you take it out. Has been enjoyable watching the journey of your vision coming into fruition.
Awesome. You are no doubt proud of the accomplishment and rightfully so.
Thanks so much for sharing.

Get used to people wanting to converse about your creation whenever you take it out.
I was actually thinking on my way home from work that maybe I should have just stayed home yesterday morning as there was a supremely high chance going to a car show would involve having to talk to people in person. It's never the hardship of my imagination mind you, but I'm torn between wanting to stay clear enough that the car can get the attention I want for it while avoiding attention myself and my distrust of people forcing me to stay close to the car.
Eventually I'd like to get one of those digital picture frames and load pictures of the build process and a spec sheet to it that I can sit like on the driveshaft tunnel behind the shifter at shows.

Hey Nash,

Been following your build from the get go. Although I haven't posted or encouraged, I think you have made something to b proud of and although the car is the feature it is your dream made into reality.

The car can't take the credit for your ability to overcome the anxiety causing problems suffered early on, when you weren't assured of a place to build and may have had to abandon early.

I love what you have done. Maybe make a video with a voice over, (not showing you), explaining the process, some trials and tribulations, ( as per some of the posts on here), to engage with the people who view the car in shows. To me that would be far more interesting than just a digital picture book. It would also keep those interested around the car a bit longer, in turn attracting more people, crowd attracts a crowd thing.

Congratulations on completing the car. Looks good..,....actually no it doesn't...... It looks great.👍👍👍👍👍

Question.....,.,what's next😂

Question.....,.,what's next😂

Gonna cherry pick this first because the answer is easy. After this car is done I need to be done for a while barring something crazy happening. I don't have the space or the money for something else but even if I had it my wife has already said I'll be divorced if I decide to spend another thousand hours a year out of the house on a car. That doesn't stop the dreaming though.

I really really want to build a non-aero mid 60s Formula type car. Ideally a flat crank Ford 302 with individual throttle bodies and velocity stacks. To me it's just the pinnacle of human driven auto racing, either that or Can Am....which is something else I'd like to emulate. The Formula style car would be even less practical than what I have already but it's really been my dream for a long time. Issue being that the engine alone would cost essentially what the entire car I've got now did, and everything associated with the car is correspondingly expensive. The Can Am car I've got in mind is probably even less economical despite being slightly more practical. I was thinking today it'd be fun to do one of those with an MR-1 Pontiac block. The truth to either of those is I'm almost certainly not a good enough driver to do either of those justice anyway.

More realistic is upgrading the Tornado. Maybe try to find another engine to tear into and try to incorporate some internal upgrades to handle more RPM and more boost if the latter is an option. A limited slip for the car is highly desirable too so when the money quits stacking up I can spend even more on that. Dream world stuff would be finding a way to fit a 4 or 5 speed gearbox. Or even something with a syncronized first gear would be nice.

I like your idea of 'continuing' to upgrade/improve what you have already built. Plus your wife might go for that.🙄

Got test pieces for the supercharger flanges today, small alterations needed but for the most part good enough. They're gonna make those changes and get me a quote for them cut out of 5/16 aluminum.

Attachments

• 20230708_143454.jpg
    20230708_143454.jpg
    533.6 KB · Views: 32
  • 20230708_152208.jpg
    20230708_152208.jpg
    307.4 KB · Views: 34
  • 20230708_152242.jpg
    20230708_152242.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 34
  • 20230708_152408.jpg
    20230708_152408.jpg