stupid clutch trick

Q Tip

mad bomber
Reaction score
Argh I am having a bit of a problem...when i have the bike on the centerstand in neutral,
the clutch seems to be dragging enough to choke off the bike?

Bike revs high with the clutch all the way in and as I ease out the clutch the revs drop until the clutch is all the way released and the bike dies?

I could see this if the bike was on the ground in gear but it is on the stand in neutral?

I adjusted the clutch per my manual....looks like I'll have to check that one.
:confused:

Hey that might be it...I removed the clutch assy when I installed the starter gear. I guess i'll have to go back through it AGAIN. Lol thank you.

I'm not too good with clutches and all...but I am having a hard time understanding how releasing the clutch in NEUTRAL can choke off the bike? Weird.

The good news is I have her cranking and running on the starter button.

Q Tip;

When you had the clutch apart, did you index it correctly on re-assembly?

Attachments

• ClutchIndexSet.jpg
    ClutchIndexSet.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 63
yes i did i tried to read up quite a bit on the install. I used the hex socket bolts on the springs. I actually took it apart twice to correct it as i did not index it as you show in your pics the first time. Oh well its not too difficult to go through, just time consuming.

Can you start it in neutral without pulling the clutch in?
Why is it high reving? Do you have the idle screw turned in?

when i adjusted mine on the left case thing i had to tighten it all the way or it would jerk forward and kill the bike once i put it in first. dunno...

Can you start it in neutral without pulling the clutch in?
Why is it high reving? Do you have the idle screw turned in?

Haven't tried to start on the electric start unless I have the clutch pulled in. As things are now I doubt it will start but we'll see.

Yes the idle screws are turned in as I have been trying to get the bike to hold an idle...bike's not tuned at all yet.

Still wondering why releasing the clutch in neutral can have such an effect.

I can vary the rpms of the motor by how far I pull in the clutch, almost like a throttle!:eek:

I hope I get to ride this thing before I am too old.

It sounds like something in the clutch is binding or dragging. I think you'll need to pull it apart again and check the assembly sequence, especially the washers both behind the main basket and in between the inner and outer baskets .....

ClutchWashers.jpg

Great diagram...thanks a billion. I checked the left case side to make sure the ball under the worm gear was present, it is there. Getting ready to dive into the right case side.

the only thing I can think of offhand was that i did not soak the clutch plates in oil. But they were not new and quite a bit oily, and operating the clutch with the cover off the bike
moved the plates out nicely.

I'll just have to try again.

You said you changed the spring screws. Make sure you didn't use screws that are too long. They could stick out the back of the inner hub and rub on the main basket. You need to use 40mm long screws, 45s are too long and will rub.

had to come in and get some air conditioning. Pretty whupped with the bike. I checked out the right case side and made sure it was re-assembled per your diagram. My screws are the right length,but I did notice my springs are longer than what is called for in my Clymer manual. Clymer specs the springs at a length of 1.350 uncompressed. My springs are 1.660 long. That is the only thing I found out of spec in the right case side.

On another note my clutch cable may be a bit long....when i have my adjuster at the clutch perch backed out fully the lever doesn't have a great deal of tension on it...I stacked a few washers up where the cable enters the left case cover to increase my adjustment range.

Haven't tried running the bike since the latest round of adjustments.

Success! Somewhere in re-assembling the clutch and adjusting the worm side/cable I got back to right! Bike is cranking right up and idling well, and seems to take throttle well for open pipes. I'm just a front brake away from riding!!!

Many thanks to all who helped out on this thread.

Back