Subsidizing My 650

bdholsin

XS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I finally came across a deal on craiglist to fix up and flip to subsidize my 650. I'll admit, this bike ('92 Kawasaki Ninja EX500) would probably take top honors in a "Fugliest Bike" contest but I got it for a mere $250. I'm intending to flip it next spring and continue upgrading/replacing more stuff on the 650. The paint is terrible (from the PO) but the engine is strong.

After getting it home I compared the two side by side. I realize that the Ninja has no soul compared to my 650. The 650 has waaaay more character too. Even my wife (who has no interest in bikes) commented on how nice my 650 is and I better not give it up. That certainly was a surprise.

The PO spray painted all the body panels black and the tank yellow. I'm having a heck of a time getting the paint off. I'm seriously considering parting it out. I do have the title and would hate to kill it but I don't know what it'd be worth as a whole once I get it back to "right".

Ninja.jpg

Not much. With a single color paint job, running fine and title probably 600-800.

That'll be enough. I'll get my initial money back and then some profit.

Parting it out should yield more but I don't know if that would be a good idea.

I think you'll get more than that for it. I guess it probably depends on the area but I think around here, even if it were all flat black you could get over a grand for it in the spring. Put it on Craigslist for $1,100 in April and say "good starter bike". I would have bought that in a heart beat for $250 if she runs.

some of the micro midget racers around here run those engines. the basic engine (no carbs etc) alone is worth at least twice what ya paid for the bike....

Yup, those bikes are a great half liter racer. I had one years ago. They handle great. Pretty it up some and you should get over a grand for it if it's mechanically sound. I agree, I'd would have jumped on that for $250.

I think you'll get more than that for it. I guess it probably depends on the area but I think around here, even if it were all flat black you could get over a grand for it in the spring. Put it on Craigslist for $1,100 in April and say "good starter bike". I would have bought that in a heart beat for $250 if she runs.
The fact that it ran so strong is why I bought it. I wasn't keen about the color but figured I could do something about that. I'm in the process of seeing if the paint will strip off. It's been so-so thus far.

some of the micro midget racers around here run those engines. the basic engine (no carbs etc) alone is worth at least twice what ya paid for the bike....
I was thinking along these lines. Carbs and engine would certainly allow me to recoup my cost. After that it's all gravy.

Think I'll do as Travis suggested. List it in the spring as a good starter bike. That'll give me the winter to pretty it up. I'll tell you this though...this will be the last crotch rocket I'll ever buy with the exception of a Ducati (down the road). I've dreamed of a Ducati for a long time but I'd be torn between that and my 650. My 650 feels like a "first car" for me. I doubt I'll ever get rid of the 'ol girl. She's easy on the eyes and easy to work on. Like I said in my first post, she has a soul.

Thanks guys!!:thumbsup:

IMHO you can't use paint stripper on plastic you gotta sand and sand and.........
Ah spring when all bikes are made of gold.

IMHO you can't use paint stripper on plastic you gotta sand and sand and.........
Ah spring when all bikes are made of gold.
I'm finding this out now. The stripper won't remove only the sprayed on top coat that the PO did. It's going right through the clear coat and down to the base plastic. Oh well, guess I'll have an excuse to get a paint gun from Sears...or an air brush gun.

Back