Tailgating cagers...what's the cure ?

I saw a novel solution today. I pulled up at a light behind a big red Harley of some kind and on the rear fender was a big "Police" sticker. Looked exactly like something that might be on a police bike, but it was no police bike, and the rider was no policeman.

If im being tailgated on an open road Ill usually just drop a gear and hammer away from them. In traffic Ill wait for a stoplight and just turn around and stare at them, usually works. One guy cut me off so I chased him to a light and started yelling abuse at him across his very upset wife. I imagine she gave him a hard time for that later.

Back in high school a friend of mine rigged a vented bottle with a valve that hooked to a vacuum port on the intake of his 750 Honda via rubber vacuum lines. He then filled the bottle with automatic transmission fluid and secured it in his saddlebag. Any time he opened the valve the vaccum from the engine would suck the cylinder full of ATF-- instant smoke screen.

With the added advantage of knocking down the carbon build-up in his engine.

On the left handlebar of my bike I keep a tiny LED anodized aluminum flashlight mounted with galvanized electrical clamps. It's just tight enough that it doesn't move but still can be aimed by hand. Over the years it has helped find my key, do roadside repairs, function as a temporary dash light and back off the occasional nighttime tailgater.

But usually I just slow down.

I usually try and put some distance between us. If that doesn't work I Pull of to the side and let them pass. I'm done with getting angry.

My dad said I need to carry a pocket full of wrenches. He says they work great. I guess that's what they used to do back in his day. Before everyone was lawsuit crazy.

i usually try and put some distance between us. If that doesn't work i pull of to the side and let them pass. I'm done with getting angry.

My dad said i need to carry a pocket full of wrenches. He says they work great. I guess that's what they used to do back in his day. Before everyone was lawsuit crazy.

left hand down-straight,pump backwards motion-sign language to please back off,been working for 35 yrs. Most tgers don't realize it makes us nervous. I used to carry a 17mm allen wrench-(forks) never threw it...

It is not just a bike issue, over here cagers are humping each other all the time. The only effective way i have got them to back off is if i hit the hazard light button for a few flashes. ........It works............. i am going to set up the bike the same way

When I lived in AZ, I carried my Glock 22 when out riding. Never had a problem with tailgaters......... In Chicago I ride a supermoto, A friend of mine is Chicago PD and he gave me a large CDP patch I put on my riding jacket........Still no problems.........

It is not just a bike issue, over here cagers are humping each other all the time. The only effective way i have got them to back off is if i hit the hazard light button for a few flashes. ........It works............. i am going to set up the bike the same way

I get that all the time too...when I'm in the car or Jeep I'll brake check the hell out of people. They hit me they are at fault so no biggie...of course I won't be tryin' that on the bike...lol

I just took a MC safety course and the instructor talked about back in the day carrying plugs in his pocket for tailgaters. Thought it was pretty funny that our safety instructor was telling us that. He was a old salty biker riding since 60's though so it really didn't surprise me.

When I lived in AZ, I carried my Glock 22 when out riding. Never had a problem with tailgaters......... In Chicago I ride a supermoto, A friend of mine is Chicago PD and he gave me a large CDP patch I put on my riding jacket........Still no problems.........

When I carried my .357 Smith and Wesson on my side tailgaters were never much of a problem but I never thought about it until now. Maybe I should give my Concealed Carry Weapons permit back to the Sheriff and start open carrying again. If nothing else it would save me the renewal fee.

Just because you have the ccw does that mean you can't carry openly? When I lived in New Mexico you could carry openly, no ccw's.
Now that I think back they do tend to stay away from you when there's a 44 mag on your hip.
Leo

When I carried my .357 Smith and Wesson on my side tailgaters were never much of a problem but I never thought about it until now. Maybe I should give my Concealed Carry Weapons permit back to the Sheriff and start open carrying again. If nothing else it would save me the renewal fee.

Patch the back of your jacket with CCW and a Gun emblem lol

Just because you have the ccw does that mean you can't carry openly? When I lived in New Mexico you could carry openly, no ccw's.
Now that I think back they do tend to stay away from you when there's a 44 mag on your hip.
Leo

Yes, I can still carry openly but cops here frown on it and stop you for every little thing.

Tailgating attractant.
motorcycle_thong_cop.jpg

yep and they got pulled over because she had no helmet:wtf:

Big patch on your back saying, Tailgators will be shot, survivours will be shot again.
Leo

Patch the back of your jacket with CCW and a Gun emblem lol

That's an idea! Just blow my CCW up real big and sew it to my jacket. Then I wouldn't have to fish through my wallet to find my CCW every time I get stopped. Just turn around and say, "It's on my back."

Just to explain: Not sure how it works in other states but in NC, anytime I'm approached by a police officer I'm supposed to tell the officer I'm armed and ask if he or she wants to see my CCW and/or weapon. If I'm near home it's not a problem as most local officers are friends and already know it but if I'm across town it could be different. Usually, if you hand them the CCW first they will tell you to keep your weapon in your pocket.

I have a smoke system on one of my planes I could install a smoke system on a moyorcycle very easy it would make them think you blew up and get off your tail :thumbsup:

That's an idea! Just blow my CCW up real big and sew it to my jacket. Then I wouldn't have to fish through my wallet to find my CCW every time I get stopped. Just turn around and say, "It's on my back."

Just to explain: Not sure how it works in other states but in NC, anytime I'm approached by a police officer I'm supposed to tell the officer I'm armed and ask if he or she wants to see my CCW and/or weapon. If I'm near home it's not a problem as most local officers are friends and already know it but if I'm across town it could be different. Usually, if you hand them the CCW first they will tell you to keep your weapon in your pocket.

Here in Taxachusetts, you have to ID yourself and provide CCW as soon as the officer approaches. Plus, there is no "open carry" here, if anyone sees any part of your firearm, you can be charged with "Brandishing" a weapon.

Back