Tailgating cagers...what's the cure ?

hamamatsu

Retired loafer
Reaction score
I was on the Yamaha V-Star forum to which I belong, and they were talking about using L.E.D. conversion kits with clear lenses in their brake light as a way of discouraging tailgating cagers. They say it works great.

I met a salty old Harley rider who had his own solution to the tailgating problem, he kept some old spark plugs in his jacket pocket, and when someone insisted in tailgating, he would throw a spark plug over his shoulder.

Maybe not as sophisticated as the L.E.D. conversion, but I bet he got results.

:D

Slow way down and force them to pass. Give them plenty of room. If they don't pass, pull into the nearest busy business. If there is none, pull over where there's good cover or concealment and have a weapon handy...

The spark plug strategy sounds like a fantasy to me. Good way to have the police show up at your house.

My wife told of a friend who would keep gravel in her pocket so she could drop it on the road if someone was close. Not as damaging or as obvious as braking a windshield.

Although I have no good idea how to do this, I always thought a squirt of oil in the exhaust would discourage a tailgater.

Tom

Must be polite midwesterners but I have found adjusting my rear view mirror a time or two is enough to give them the idea. But yup if you are not going above the speed limit give em the road, the cage always wins in a mix up.

Story warning.

Wife and I were on the way to a country restaurant we got tailgated fast, slow it didn't matter. I finally pulled over. Drunk got out and apologized all to hell for bothering us and just wanted to tell me that, WTF?
Later the SAME night riding through a state park a RANGER tailgated us. (my plate was illegal I think) I pulled over, he got out, I about came unglued on him, I was so pissed. I read him the riot act about a car tailgating a motorcycle. He backed away got back in his car and dissappeared!

Time to share a little tailgating story...... Picture a '58 Ford Ranchero - stock 292 automatic vehicle with exhaust pipe exit straight back beneath the rear bumper. Got a bright idea one day and decided to build flame throwers. Fitted each pipe with a spark plug and coil. Installed a momentary switch on the engine ignition to shuttle the points signal from the regular ignition coil to the exhaust pipe units. Activate the switch, engine spark plugs stop firing thereby allowing the unburned charge to exit the engine directly to the exhaust system. Not something that should be done with any regularity as it "washes down" the cylinders and can be taxing on a weak exhaust system. Anyway, I was oozing along a neighborhood street being relentlessly tailgated by an impatient young female driver. Time to press the switch. The roar of the flames let me know the system was active.........well......that and the fact the tailgater dynamited the brakes! Cracked me up! I don't know what they might have been thinking (if anything?) but it served to generate some space! Flames shoot a few feet - depending on how fast the engine is spinning....... Goes to show you what an afternoon of nice weather, a cock-eyed idea, some spare parts-n'-pieces and a few adult beverages can generate!..............And it was good for a laugh!...........Wesley

Saw this in Colorado, cager SERIOUSLY tailgating a rather gruff looking guy on an old panhead hardtail.
After about 3 miles in traffic the dude wasnt gettin it.
We got to a red light and the guy on the Pan put down the stand, got off the bike and turned around to look at the dude in the car.
THAT is when you could see the freaking Dirty Harry hand cannon the biker was open carrying on his right hip.
Guy in the cage threw it in reverse and nearly drove over the hood of the car behind him.
Funniest thing was, the biker just took one step forward to take a close look at his rear tire, then got on his bike and calmly rode away.
I was in tears laughing so hard, I HAD to stick around as a witness to set the cops straight when the cager started talking about this "crazy, hells angel, waving a gun at him".
The cop wrote him a ticket for more than a couple of traffic offenses, including "impeding traffic" because he didn't move his SUV to the side of the road after the accident.

I had a guy today, in a Mercedes, all over my ass. I usually get over or turn, but there was no place, so I took my time, snorted the biggest snot ball in my mouth, head-tilted left, accounted for the wind, and launched towards the 10 o'clock position. That guy was pissed boy!!!!!! He got next to me at a light and started yelling at me. I couldn't hear him while I continually cracked my throttle. I would have just pulled the old, "Oh, I'm sorry it hit your car, but if it did, you must have been really close.....jerk off!!!!" if I would have gotten into an arguement.
I normally try not to get into trouble, but this turd needed it.

My uncle carries 1/4 inch ball bearings in his pocket. He got in trouble for throwing them though.

Usually the idiot isn't "aware" (s)he's tailgating 'cuz that's how they always drive. I look over my shoulder directly at them and they usually get it, 'cuz NOW they're awake. Another trick is to simply start weaving erratically (while maintaining speed - I DON'T slow down), psychos make normal folks nervous. 95% of the time these two work. The other 5%, the person is really being an asshole with full consciousness. If I'm in a sensible mood, I get out of the way. When I'm emotional (most commonly), I leave 'em behind....

The ball bearing stuff is great, but with cell phones nowadays... Too often, the second offender is the one who gets caught (I ALWAYS get caught).

Not recomended or tried but think it is funny. You can keep a syringe of motor oil ready to fire ( needle out ). Just simply give a little squirt over the shoulder. When it hits there windshield the tailgater thinks it's water and hits the wipers smearing the windshield and forcing them to pull over and clean up the mess. WARNING I can't guaranty they won't want catch up and beat you into a pulp.

"Zip-Strip" in the syringe, if it doesn't eat it away first, would do a number on the car.

I always get caught too, so I try to refrain from throwing things.

Tailgating repellent.....

Attachments

• image003.jpg
    image003.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 221
Not recomended or tried but think it is funny. You can keep a syringe of motor oil ready to fire ( needle out ). Just simply give a little squirt over the shoulder. When it hits there windshield the tailgater thinks it's water and hits the wipers smearing the windshield and forcing them to pull over and clean up the mess. WARNING I can't guaranty they won't want catch up and beat you into a pulp.

I've got a friend who does this with his jeep cherokee. With water not oil. He unplugged the line from his rear wiper and blasts people when they get too close. He did it to me once when i was following him, and I've got to tell you, it's pretty startling.

In my city here it's illegal to throw anything, including snowballs. So, be aware. I've always really liked the flamethrower idea.

The guy who runs the electrical projects lab here on campus thinks you could do it with a little reservoir of rubbing alcohol and an injector in the end of your tailpipe. The hot exhaust could auto ignite the alcohol, and it just seems a lot safer than spraying gas.

Connect a strobe light to give him an epileptic seizure and make him crash. .

I wonder if a RC nitro glow plug would be enough to ignite exhaust fumes? It wouldn't be hard to hook up a 9volt to a switch and run it to your pipes.

I've always wanted to add some halogen or HID lights to the holes in my rim of my jeeps spare tire. Just hit the lights and they should back off.

Posted via Mobile

Back