Tank Panting

yamahama

'72 XS in Restoration
Reaction score
I've been searching around wondering if there are companies that make fuel tank decals to use for painting the designs on earlier tanks ('70-72). Thinking about a total resto on a 1972 xs 650. Any ideas?

I am not sure that I understand quite what you are looking for but one company that does tank decals for XS650s is Diablo Cycle in London, Ontario Canada.

www.diablocycle.com

Very nice quality and not too expensive.

Pete

To clarify, yes, I was referring to stencils to facilitate the panting... 20200314_110504.jpg
20200314_110504.jpg

View attachment 165228 Hi I painted mine myself just using masking tape ,I think it came out quite well .
Done using rattle can ,the red was Citroen wicked red metallic and the white is appliance white for refrigerators etc.
I did the white first and finished with a couple of coats of clear.

Wow! I think you did a brilliant job there!

I am getting ready to do my XS2 tank. I have the mask from Diablo Cycle. I am planning on painting the tank white and apply the masks and then painting the red. How soon should I pull the masks off after painting the red? Hope mine comes out as good as the above ones.

There are a lot of good videos on the subject of masking for automotive paint jobs, masking techniques, removal etc. You can learn a lot by watching the pros demonstrate.

Back