tappet cover studs

donkeytool

XS650 Member
Reaction score
This may seem "duh" simple to some folks, but I just figured it out. I had my valve covers off to adjust my valves, and discovered that the PO had replaced some of the cover studs with bolts. I put them back on not thinking anything was wrong with that. I went to tighten the last cap nut and it stripped. I had a moment of panic wondering if I had stripped the nut end or the case end. It was the nut end of course because with the studs, it is impossible to strip the case end (The studs bottom out against the outside of the case preventing over torquing the threads). I will now be replacing the missing studs with studs instead of bolts. Glad I figured that out before I stripped my case threads in the future. Like I say, may seem obvious to others, but it didn't occur to me until I thought I might have ruined that hole. So, I'm sharing.

Last edited:
The front right outside tappet cover hole is stripped on mine in the head. The cover doesn't leak so I haven't done anything about it yet.

I went to my local hardware store today and picked up the 6mm studs I needed for mine and noticed they had some that were 8mm on one side and 6mm on the other. Tap it out to 8mm next time you have to take that cover off.

Excellent idea! Thanks. Par for the course is no store here will have them though.

Back