tappet noise on an xs2

nairb

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know this is a difficult thing to work out without hearing it but .........
Are the xs2 engine a bit noisy compared to say a honda 450 twin?. My honda cl450 sits there with a quiet rustle of timing chain and tappets.
The xs2 seems to clatter a bit and the tappets seem noisy by comparison. During the recommission of this bike I checked the cam chain tension which was slightly loose. The tappets were tight and I reset them to .3mm(.012") exhaust and .15mm(.006") inlet - cold.

The bike does start well and seems to run and pull well after 500 miles.

Its just I seem to notice the tappet noise often went at slow speed. I rechecked the tappet clearance and they dont seem to have changed much.

Most of my other bike are .... umm .... 2 strokes. So I might be a bit sensitive to this engine noise. The bikes done some 15k miles and is on clean oil.

Ta
Nairb

I have the XS650 heritage Special and it taps too, I forget who said this on here, it is said that it should sound like a sewing machine as you ride, just keep an eye on your oil levels. I have mine set at .003 and .006.

I think your valve clearances are too loose. .006" for the intakes and .012" for the exhausts was the spec for the 1st model year (1970) but Yamaha revised that rather quickly to .003" intake, .006" exhaust.

Thanks for the info... that interesting. When the bike arrived (not working) I looked at the valve gap and it was set very tight. So when I had finished fixing/re-commissioning I re-timed and set the valve gap to that in the Haynes manual(.006/.012). The change to .003/.006 is a big jump. But it explains why it does run ok but has a metallic clatter.
Right - I will spend a couple of hrs and reset the valve gap and look forward to hearing the results.
Here is a pic of the xs2..... a cracking bike.

Attachments

• yamaha xs650 xs2 1.jpg
    yamaha xs650 xs2 1.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 141
Yeah the 6 and 12 makes for a symphony of valve clatter.
+1 good looking bike.

It been done and what a change..... having read the link above I decided to start at .1 & .2 to see what the change would be and its good. The metallic rattle is much subdued. It sounds ok now.
So much for the numbers in the Haynes manual. I should have rechecked the numbers on this forum. But no harm done.

It a great bike for going around the country lanes here in the uk. Effortless grunt.

Thank for the comments and info..... its always good to see some of the older bikes out and about.... now I have to finish a gt550J... a 2 stroke so no valve timing/gap to worry about.. hurray.

Back