TCI 6 pin and 8 pin interchange information.

gggGary

If not now, When?
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
TCI interchange; the 6 prong and 8 prong TCI are "nearly" plug and play. You can use a 6 pin TCI on an 8 pin harness and use an 8 pin TCI on a 6 pin harness. The needed wires all line up between the 6 and 8 pin plugs. The only change needed is to cut away some of the plastic skirt on the TCI side of the plug. line up like colored wires plug them in maybe use some electrical tape to keep them firmly together, done. You do NOT need to cut or remove the 7th wire. So your bike harness will not be altered in any way.
The TCI were;
6 pin for 80-81 specials,
8 pin for the 82-84 Heritage Specials.
The 8 pin TCI only has 7 wires, one socket is empty. That 7th wire uses a switch on the side stand so if you put in gear with the side stand down it kills the spark. If you use a 6 pin TCI you lose that safety feature. Pics show a 6 pin TCI on an 8 pin harness. and the side stand interlock circuit. You don't need to cut that much of the skirt that was a brittle old connector that just crumbled.
hint; when trying to separate ancient connectors hit them with silicon spray and work them around a bit in your hands it helps them separate with little or no damage to wires or pins. Spray contact cleaner and tooth brush pin clean up is good. Connect, disconnect the plugs a few time spray out the debris. Not so fond of sandpaper work, it removes the protective plating from the connectors allowing them to corrode more easily. Dielectric grease helps connectors stay "connective" do not use joint conductant that is for large aluminum wires.

Attachments

• TCI 6 to 8 pin (1).jpg
    TCI 6 to 8 pin (1).jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 382
  • TCI 6 to 8 pin (2).jpg
    TCI 6 to 8 pin (2).jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 308
  • TCI 6 to 8 pin (3).jpg
    TCI 6 to 8 pin (3).jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 293
  • TCI cutoff diagram.jpg
    TCI cutoff diagram.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 531
  • TCI safety wire diagram.jpg
    TCI safety wire diagram.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 341
  • tci.JPG
    tci.JPG
    173.2 KB · Views: 396
AFAIK No other TCI from yamaha or any other bike will fit and work on an XS650 you can use ONLY XS650 TCI units
(from any year XS650) I have talked to and sold parts to many fellows that welded on their motorcycle with the TCI still on the bike, Electric Welding is game over for the TCI. This is not one of those generic disconnect the battery warnings many have destroyed TCI's doing this!

I have talked to and sold parts to many fellows that welded on their motorcycle with the TCI still on the bike, Electric Welding is game over for the TCI. This is not one of those generic disconnect the battery warnings many have destroyed TCI's doing this!

Yep. I had some "professional" shop fry mine. I told them to remove it, I should have done it myself.

Back