TCI Replacement 2020 It Works

TJ, good point about the steel screws not interferring with the stock pickup. Now I see what gggGary was thinking about. So today wasn't a total loss. In the UK the GONZO ordered from China is approximately £10.

Proposed Gonzo info page

The Gonzo Project

The Gonzo TCI
Electronic Ignition System

For any questions or more information about the Gonzo Box post on the development/help thread
http://www.xs650.com/threads/tci-replacement-2020-it-works.57388/

The Gonzo TCI is a easy swap into 1980-83 TCI Equipped XS650

Suzuki GN250 TCI Igniter​
Five Wire connection
Uses stock TCI coil
Much smaller than the stock TCI box

Provides 20degrees advance
upload_2020-6-19_11-58-2.png

I just did a search on Ebay for 720 Ohm relay. To my surprise there are several, even the same size and format as the 235 Ohm relay I used. If I order one I can have some real fun next week on the latherometer.

I have searched these before but they all have the wrong format i.e. made to go on PMAs so the mounting holes face the wrong way. I could make one from a relay but I need the 3 dimensions from the stock pickup: Distance from the center of the coil to each mounting screw and the distance the face of the iron core lies below the mounting plate.

Thinking about if the signal from the TCI pickup is too high, this could easily be dealt with by using one of those tiny 5K variable resistors - the ones set in a plastic case with a fine adjustment screw. Amplify a weak signal is a bit more complex but could be done with a single transistor with a preset gain.

Have anymore rides taken place or is everyone very busy with the World gearing back up. I have to go to work next week so slowly my spare time will start to decrease. England is going to have everyone back in school at the start of September. Sounds a bad move but I think they have high hopes in that steroid that lowers the risk of death with Covid-19.

Last edited:
I think all you need is voltage from the pickup coil. It is feed to a modern circuit board which will only draw a couple of mAs. In the 70s cassette players worked and the signal from the pickup head was very weak.

I bought 2 of these pickups for less than $10.00 on ebait with shipping. With a gentle nudging on the mount it works out great for mounting.
A strip of aliumnimum 1" wide by xx with 4 holes drilled in it to make the stator mount.

EDIT
It also can be mounted to the stock TCI threaded holes.

Last edited:
Industrial strength 55gal drum castor base... 4x4's bolted to that and the motor on top. Pre TCI motor... all I know about it is it has compression. Gonna make some hinged outriggers so I can roll it out onto the driveway and back in the garage easily.

run stand.jpg

Back