thinking of mounting TCI box (IGNITOR) on battery box

emzdogz

Aunty Em
Reaction score
so, on the stock bike the black box marked IGNITOR "lives" bolted on the bottom of that funky battery basket. Thinking that on a stock bike, that probably stays pretty dry under there, or?

It occurs to me that that black box would fit perfectly, attached to either the rear or front face of my battery box. (box goes in sideways)
It would be so easy to weld a couple of nuts on and just bolt the thing to the batt box.
I'm guessing it might get too wet there though.

Wondering if anyone here has tried running the TCI box semi-exposed like I describe, or semi-exposed some other way?

Would it maybe be enough to put some silicone sealer around the seams where the box comes apart and at the rubber grommet where the wires come out?
Or would this still leave the unit too vulnerable?

Am also thinking of welding a sheet metal sheath or "pocket" for the unit onto my batt box. Something that would largely shield the box from rain.

If I can make this work, and just use one fuse, then I wouldn't need an electrical box at all, which would be great. But I don't want to ruin the part, either.

thx!

something like this, sorry for the crummy drawing - I'm no DaVinci.

Attachments

• battbox.jpg
    battbox.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 125
I know I've seen a picture somewhere of a bike that had the TCI bolted to the battery box like you're talking about. I was contemplating something similar down the road. I would bet that a little smear of RTV around the gap of the lid on the TCI box and you'd be good. I put a aftermarket Audiovox true cruise control unit on my V-Star a few years ago. It has a controller module that is meant to be on the interior of a car to control On/Off Set/Resume. I took it apart, applied some clear RTV, and it's lived through torrential downpours and blasts from the garden hose with no problems.

Kent

hi Kent, thanks for the input.
:)

I've decided to try it, and here's what I have so far - just tacked on.
This is a Rock-a-Billy choppers battery box, with a section of 5 inch fender tacked on.

I'd prefer the box slide in the other way but in order to do that I'd have to cut the mounting tabs off with the Dremel. It's just barely too snug to accept it the other way with mounting tabs left on.

Attachments

• battbox.jpg
    battbox.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 133
that looks great.
I wouldnt seal the seams of the ignitor box because if any moisture is still in there, it will never dry out.

The way the box normally fits, there's a hole pointing down to let moisture drain out, and inside behind that is a shield that shields the board and directs moisture back down toward the hole. Mounted standing up, I'd ignore the seams, but I'd put a piece of duct tape over the hole and make a new hole in the new bottom. I don't remember how close the components are to the wall, but if you wrap tape around your drill bit 1/8" from the end and don't go farther than that you'll be ok. Also, the board inside is waterproof, being coated with something that's soluble in Acetone. The components themselves are waterproof too.

thanks for the ideas and info, angus and xjwmx. Much appreciated.
:)
Now I just need to build a floor for this to sit on. I'd made a place for battery to sit before, but had to cut it back apart and start over.

I think your idea is a good one. It not only protects it from the weather, it hides it from sight.

iv seen a few TCI box mounted to the right side battery box...i have mine on the rear fender up high so to avoid water as much as possible. your box looks very nice. i covered mine with black tape to help keep it water friendly.

Back