Tilting the engine forward - How?

gentlemanjim

More Wrenchin than Ridin
Reaction score
I've noticed some people have canted the engine slighlty forward bringing it more parellel to the down tube. I like the look as it reminds me of a Norton.

Those of you that have done please tell me the procedure and level of difficulty.

- some have specially made frames

- you can use the stock frame but need to shift the motor slightly forward to clear the bottom rear corner, watch the rear of the head too...will need to fábricate all new mounts

..Looks odd to me...I prefer to see the clutch-casing parallel with the lower rails .. You might want to check the sump oil pickup too...

- ive seen bob triggs 77 ascot tt in the french alps...thats 34 years old now and still running...halco in england knocked quite a few off before he topped himself as well

XS650%20Ascot%20proto%20BobTrigg%20side%20PS%2003_tcm71-243019.jpg

Awesome - You (plural) have to agree the forward tilt lends a certain style to the bike. Well at least thats my biased opinion. Thanks INXS.

Still think that tilted motor looks odd..Tony let me ride an Ascott about 12 years ago..Cant say it did much for me lookswise , & way too expensive!

...Engine should look like this maybe..

Attachments

• Copy (3) of myxs02.jpg
    Copy (3) of myxs02.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:
Oh God yes,now thats a good-looking engine, the one bike I wish Id NEVER sold , my 1970 SF1 750, I know where it is and Id sell all my XS's to get it back again ..:banghead:

As much as I love XS's the Laverda beats it hands-down at everything imo..Sorry, but its true..:shrug:
I'll post a piccy of mine if I can find it(pre digital camera)

- the sf series were-are a beautiful machine...the best of the bunch imo-not bad for an agriculture machine builder

Nice...Wiping a tear from my eye..
Heres mine..And the 'Jotarised' Mirage I had too..

Attachments

• laverda 002.jpg
    laverda 002.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 153
  • laverda 005.jpg
    laverda 005.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:
Longer rear shocks and dropping the fork tubes in the clamps tilts the engine and frame forward, This is a very common adjustment to the attitude of an XS, I've done it with mine. Maybe that is the look you are seeing?

Tom Graham

Still think that tilted motor looks odd..Tony let me ride an Ascott about 12 years ago..Cant say it did much for me lookswise , & way too expensive!

...Engine should look like this maybe..

Whoa... Acid flashback. Don't do that to me without warning next time. :D

Back