Tip for removal of decal/ sticker glue

arcticXS

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
As I may have mentioned before, I have a 1/2 fairing from a mid-80s FJ600/XJ600 that I am planning to try on the XS (Mostly because I don't really like touring screens and quarter fairings)

Anyway, this fairing came with quite a bit of stick-on grapics. And you can imagine that they stuck well after 36 years....I managed to get all the vinyl off, after several hours with a heat gun and a razor blade. But most of the glue was still left on the paint. So I went for the WD40 can, as I have good experience with WD40 for sticker glue removal. Unfortunately it did not do anything to the glue, even after leaving a soaked paper towel on the glue overnight. So some other remedy would be necessary.

First I tried an aerosol gasket remover, with the most horrible smell ever, but it seemed to disagree with the plastic, causing some cracking.....so definitely no good..
Then it struck me, Citrus Solvent. Which is the oil from orange peel, with no additives. Actually, I got the idea when peeling an orange after breakfast, while looking at that fairing on the other end of my kitchen table. And realized that I actually had a can of ski wax remover in my ski prep box.
"Swix Citrus Solvent" This is really great stuff, 100% natural and biodegradable, and smells of oranges :)
I applied some over the glue with a tiny piece of paper towel, rubbed a little bit, then I could scrape off the glue with a plastic scraper (car windshield scraper used in cold places.....) Then a little final rubbing with a soaked piece of paper towel and all glue was gone.

I have come across citrus solvent for industrial use as well, for example in the printing industry.
The only caution on my can, was that it will dry out your hands, so use gloves or wash hands after use.
IMG_20220128_144356_6.jpg
IMG_20220128_151056_1.jpg

Last edited:
My choice for sticker removal is WD40... Cheap, easy & even my wife has a can on the shelf... Spray it on, let it set, dissolves the glue... For final cleanup I give it a wipe with Bestine Rubber Cement thinner (or a cloth with a spot of naphtha)...

My choice for sticker removal is WD40... Cheap, easy & even my wife has a can on the shelf... Spray it on, let it set, dissolves the glue... For final cleanup I give it a wipe with Bestine Rubber Cement thinner (or a cloth with a spot of naphtha)...
WD 40 was my go-to as well, but as I stated in my post, it did not make any difference on whatever adhesive Yamaha used on the OEM graphics on this FJ/XJ 600 fairing. But the Citrus Solvent was both effective and pleasant to use.

I had no luck with the Wd40 or the3M product but I did have some citrus degreaser
Should have tried that

As I may have mentioned before, I have a 1/2 fairing from a mid-80s FJ600/XJ600 that I am planning to try on the XS (Mostly because I don't really like touring screens and quarter fairings)

Anyway, this fairing came with quite a bit of stick-on grapics. And you can imagine that they stuck well after 36 years....I managed to get all the vinyl off, after several hours with a heat gun and a razor blade. But most of the glue was still left on the paint. So I went for the WD40 can, as I have good experience with WD40 for sticker glue removal. Unfortunately it did not do anything to the glue, even after leaving a soaked paper towel on the glue overnight. So some other remedy would be necessary.

First I tried an aerosol gasket remover, with the most horrible smell ever, but it seemed to disagree with the plastic, causing some cracking.....so definitely no good..
Then it struck me, Citrus Solvent. Which is the oil from orange peel, with no additives. Actually, I got the idea when peeling an orange after breakfast, while looking at that fairing on the other end of my kitchen table. And realized that I actually had a can of ski wax remover in my ski prep box.
"Swix Citrus Solvent" This is really great stuff, 100% natural and biodegradable, and smells of oranges :)
I applied some over the glue with a tiny piece of paper towel, rubbed a little bit, then I could scrape off the glue with a plastic scraper (car windshield scraper used in cold places.....) Then a little final rubbing with a soaked piece of paper towel and all glue was gone.

I have come across citrus solvent for industrial use as well, for example in the printing industry.
The only caution on my can, was that it will dry out your hands, so use gloves or wash hands after use.View attachment 206399View attachment 206400

I‘m curious, did you ever mount this fairing up? If yes, do you have any photos? Seems like a fun project.

Back