To much vibration

GREASER

XS1B CHOPPER
Reaction score
I got extremely high vibration on my 71 Xs it's hard tailed by elswick everything is good and tight if I start my bike I have to stay on it while it warns up cause it feels like a jack hammer and has took of before where can I find motor mounts for it maybe it can help

Welcome to yamaha twins!

Motor mounts happen to be around the motor..You will see them if you look.

There is a few things you can do to reduce vibration when riding but in general, these bikes do vibrate like crazy.

Also, Make sure your engines timings done, cam chain tension, check valve gaps, and sync your carbs.
A properly setup engine will significantly reduce vibes. If its still too much, try filling your bars with sand, lead pellets, or a bar snake.

Mine used to vibrate really bad too. Everyone kept welcoming me to XS650's. But what they didn't know is that my bike had problems. I couldn't even go over 50MPH without the bike tearing itself apart. Now I'm doing 70 down i80, 30 miles a day.

1) New chain fixed a lot of the vibration. Someone had spliced in new chain with old.
2) Timing and Carb Sync fixed more vibrations.
3) Top/Bottom Chain tensioner/guide fixed my chain slap (I have a 6"+ stretch currently).
4) Rebuilt my front end fixed some vibes.
5) Balanced tires.

Other things:
* LED lights. I kept blowing out tail lights.
* Rubber mounted everything. Fender, licence plate bracket, tail light, and whatever else I can. If it's not rubber mounted it will break off. My fender kept getting shorter and shorter because it was cracking off at the mounting brackets.

Well I got a PMA already but as I got a 6 1/2 stretch on my hard tail and it's a drop seat my motor is mounted metal to metal I have a new chain and new tensioner and dam when I drive this bad boy my idle screws open up all the way my clutch adjustment gets loose just very scary shit happens

Post some pictures. But you'll see I was complaining of the same issue a few weeks ago. I also thought that everything was good to go but below is what I did to fix things.

1) Cam chain adjustment.
2) valves
3) Valves and then Valves again
4) set the timing back a bit.
5) tightened all engine mounts again.
6) DynaBeads in the wheels (awesome change)

I found that I had more vibration on my 72 hard tail than on my 81 hard tail (both have 81 eng's on them.I found the frame broken above the rear mount(the 72 is a new build only 500 mile on it.so check the fram over real good!!!

Back