Typical issues after no use,

Xmarksthespot

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
late last December I brought home a '73TX 650, the bike started but was rough and clearly was not running well on one cylindar and the petcocks were weeping badly. So I ordered up some stuff ( new petcocks included) and tore the carbs apart for cleaning (much rust and grit debris), then life took over for a bit, shoulder surgery, a cruise the wife had planned and messing around with a 1930 plymouth at a friends place, etc.

So today I got around to firing up the bike, started third kick, settled down to a fast idle after a few minutes of warm up. Clearly running on both cylinders, no gas leaking, however the garage filled up with oil smoke. Some of that should be the light oil I squirted into the pistons when I knew I was not getting to it soon, but I am thinking there may be more to it. I am going to gauge the compression tomorrow, I am sure it is fine, I just want to know how fine. So I need to pull the tank to find out where the throttle lines are hanging up, what else do you guys think I need to be right on top of on a bike that has not seen active duty for 8 years?

Let's see if I can get this right!!

Clean carbs
Clean tank
check fuel lines for corrosion or cracks
Fresh oil
New battery
Replace tires
I would bleed the brakes just to be safe, also probably upgrade the brake lines to a single braided line
Replace all fuses with the blade type fuses
Do a compression test

Then run it again!

Good list, I actually cleaned the tank prior to my shoulder surgery, I was fortunate to get a fresh battery with the bike. I do have new gas lines to install, tires are a good idea, the brake bleeding is on my list but the braided line is not but is a good idea, (my plan was to put braided lines on my Yamaha MT01 so I will do both), Would never have thought about the fuses but that is a good idea, I want to rewire a couple of dubious sections anyways, and it looks like oil is on sale, I think 20/40 was what I used way back in '72.

Thanks for the list, I obviously had a bit of one going but it is good those other lists, I had missed things.

I think there may be more, like new plugs and such.

I don't remember off hand the oil to use, but you do not want synthetic, thats all I remember!

I would recommend a couple quick oil changes to flush the motor from all the sitting it's done. Most of us use 20-50. Yamaha did call for 20-40 but they're the only ones who sell that so that means it will be expensive. No use spending big bucks on oil you're going to dump in a few hundred miles. The filters should be pulled and cleaned with each oil change. You will most likely find the bottom one in the sump torn. Most of us just repair them as new ones are near $30 and tear out too. Due to this crude filtration system, frequent oil changes are recommended (about every 1000 miles).

Thanks 5twins, I use 20/50 in my other Yamaha, couldn't see why not. I probably switched way back when as well, the dealerships are often a bit pricey for this stuff.

Compression test is good 165/160 from left to right, multiple times. Forgot how much fun it is kicking over the engine with a wonky knee, think I will add: check the electric start wiring to my list.

That sounds like my check list, recently bought 1981 XS650 Special, last sticker 1987, I've added oil just to turn the motor by hand, (making sure motor good) haven't started it yet, (I too will change oil a couple times, no short cuts) want to clean cars, well the whole check list from Airwolfie, you mention changing to blade fuses, are they hard to do?

As to switching to different fuses and holder I need to check that out, that was Airwolfie's thought, I need to see what is involved.

After reading my notes from last January when I removed rust and debris from the tank using marbles, small nuts and bolts and then filled the tank with metal rescue and let it soak for two days. At the end when I flushed it out then poured some oil in the tank, sloshed it around good and then stored it. Later I put new petcocks on (had to make gaskets 'cause the '73 had issues that year for leaking gas, so one of two fixes was a gasket), in any case I never sloshed gas around in the tank to get rid of the oil, I just forgot and put the gas in and fired it up, then wondered why it was smoking so much. It is hard to get good help sometimes. Fortunately I drained the bulk of the oil out at the time, but there was a good film of oil in the tank.

Back