Upgrades/Improvements

Leslie

XS650 Junkie
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Hi,
I will be picking up my basket case XS650 tomorrow, I will bringing her home and stripping her down.

Then i am going to convert her into a Flat Tracker.

Has anyone got any suggestions advise or tips while I have got her down to component level that I can do prior to building her back up.:) i.e: Pamco ignition a charging system, anything at all.

Leslie McAnnashee

Welcome! Are you going to be tearing down the motor? Cam chain guide is always a priority. But if you tear it down im sure it will be in need of replacement.

Posted via Mobile

Welcome! Are you going to be tearing down the motor? Cam chain guide is always a priority. But if you tear it down I'm sure it will be in need of replacement.

Posted via Mobile

Ironsled,
I will be focusing on the engine once I have got the chassis parts of to the sprayers for a good powder coating.

I will be stripping the engine, it is the first Yammie parallel twin i have stripped and rebuilt, I have taken note and I will change the Cam chain train. How do the cranks fair on these motors, I would imagine it depends onthe mileage and servicing history.

Cheers Leslie McAnnashee

Congrats!

As for the crank, I haven't read really any issues on the crank.

I will say though, the electrical/charging system should be one of your main priorities. If I were you (which is what I'm doing), I would get do a PMA and Pamco for added reliability. Also rebuild the carbs/clean them.

While on the electrics, what year did you get?

The internals on these XS's are pretty darn stout and I haven't read too many failing in the short time I've been researching the XS's.

Got556
Its a 1980 US model.

Been advised by another forum member to fit the Pamco and a new charging system??? which I will have to look into as I am not that sharp when it comes to Eclectics. I am hoping that the charging system comes in a easy to fit kit.

On the internals, I may get my Local Yammie dealer Webb's of Lincoln to have a look once I have stripped the engine

Leslie McAnnashee

Last edited:
I'm going to go out on a limb and say the PAMCO and a PMA are probably the two best things you can do for your bike overall. The stock charging system on our XS's sucks...horribly.

You have TCI if it's an '80 which is better than the points system on the earlier bikes, but those TCI parts/units are becoming obsolete. Also with the PAMCO and PMA you can always reliably get home (pending it's not your engine internals or a flat tire or something) b/c you will always be able to kick start the bike if it dies.

Get the oil filter conversion, the one that uses a regular type oil filter, it will save you in the long run and give you good filtration.

Not yet, but it's quite easy, send in your sumpplate, get another one in return, done deal :)

Hello there McAnnashee.

Welcome to this forum.

A year back ago I was totaly new to this forum and I´ve never seen a good forum as this.....it´s the best!! Very nice guys and very much knowledge here.

I would say money sets the limit when it comes to re-build/upgrade your engine. It´s an old engine but you can make it into a new one......but i´ll cost you some. Why not run it for a while as it is, see how it peforme?? Take actions after that:D

BUT!!!! before run the engine........check the oil filters, change the oil and listen to the engine while running. All ???? can be stragthen out at this forum, your in good hands!

Good luck/BigBoreSwede

Hello there McAnnashee.

Welcome to this forum.

I would say money sets the limit when it comes to re-build/upgrade your engine. It´s an old engine but you can make it into a new one......but i´ll cost you some. Why not run it for a while as it is, see how it peforme?? Take actions after that:D But!! before run the engine........check the oil filters, change the oil and listen to the engine while running. All ???? can be stragthen out at this forum, your in good hands!

Good luck/BigBoreSwede

+ one on riding ditto the welcome

Hello there McAnnashee.

I would say money sets the limit when it comes to re-build/upgrade your engine. It´s an old engine but you can make it into a new one......but i´ll cost you some. Why not run it for a while as it is, see how it peforme?? Take actions after that:D

BUT!!!! before run the engine........check the oil filters, change the oil and listen to the engine while running. All ???? can be stragthen out at this forum, your in good hands!

Good luck/BigBoreSwede

Thanks Swede,
I will run the engine prior to the start of the renovation it may require a new battery new petrol oil check and the starter motor re-fitting prior to any attempted start up it has been in storage for seven years, any obvious problems should manifest them selves once the engine is running:yikes:.

I will then be stripping the bike down to component level, and the engine i will strip down and let my local Yamaha dealer (Webb's of Lincoln) check every thing over.

Cheers Leslie McAnnashee

I agree with some of the other posts here. Don't be too quick to buy a whole bunch of expensive new shiney parts. Run the bike first to gat familiar with it. The weak areas will make themselves known.

There's a lot of hyperbole that flys around on these web sites...................internet myths you might say. One example is "The stock charging system on our XS's sucks...horribly". That's purely subjective and not based on fact.

The stock electrical components on these bikes were of high quality. They have lasted extremely well over the years. The original stock electrical system has worked just fine for me over the last 5 seasons. A few modern updating of items such as rectifier and regulator are a wise thing to do.

Since no one maintained these bikes over the years, you do have to spend time checking and cleaning wiring connectors, ground connections, brushes, etc.

Since you're calling out my post....I would put money on it that you're one of the lucky ones with your electrical system. (I'm not talking about TCI setups as those are pretty good). But there is a reason most guys bring some extra points/brushes/etc on their ride if they're running this system.

And I find it ironic your electronic and ignition have a lot of aftermarket going on....

And OP...PMA is Permanent Magnet Alternator. Do a search, lots of write ups on this.

Guess I better knock wood then. The "F" is still on it's second set of points and brushes.
And it gets along well enough to make the stage one crowd work for it.
I carry no extra parts or bits.
The (at one time "special") does well enough with stock components(elec) including the old fuse box (alibeit resoldered fuse clips). Someday I WILL put that hot coil on and new blade fuses on but right now (as of 1am last night) I have a hard time remembering the red line.

side bar: Grizld1 if you happen by I "heard" your warnings now if I could heed. But it/I just love the 5-7k + range. Some lessons are learned the hard way.

picture.php

got556;

The PMA and the excited field (stock design) both get the job done, just in different ways. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. Choose the one you like.

You first said the stock charging system sucks, and now you are talking about TCI and points ignition. Charging and ignition are separate systems.

Some items on these bikes are "wear" items. They have a lifespan and then they deteriorate and fail. Brushes and points/condensers are wear items. If riders are carrying extra points and brushes, that likely means they aren't doing any preventive maintenance, and choose to allow components to break down on the road.

Yes I replaced the original ignition coils with an Accel coil, because the original coils while capable, had low output voltage, giving weak spark.

Now as to the charging system. My regulator and rectifier were state of the art in the 1970's. However, technology has moved on. Selenium rectifiers have been replaced by silicon diodes. Mechanical relay type regulators have been replaced with solid state regulators that are much more precise. I still have the original rectifier and regulator and they both were working when removed from the bike................very well built components. My stator and rotor, both working fine, but at 33 years old, they could fail at any time. With old (classic) bikes, you are always trading off cost up front, versus a chance of breakdown on the road.

I'm tempting fate here, but on my pair of XSs have never had any problems with my points or brushes while on the road. I do carry spare points and brushes as a precaution; I once had a brush fail by separating from its backing plate on removal, and years ago experienced a snapped points spring (on a car). When I'm several hours from home I prefer to have a fighting chance of repair. As RG said you take your chances with the rotor and stator. One rotor did fail on me (break in the winding) and left me stranded, the other is still going strong at present. I also installed a solid state regulator/rectifier in both machines after a problem with one, but it was 30 years old so I don't hold a grudge. Failures in charging components are common to many machines of similar age, regardless of type. I recall Suzukis of similar vintage having a few issues.
McAnnashee - look forward to the pic. Would offer advice on how to post/link, but I'm not yer man for that - computers don't always work for me!

Back