Video Thread

Video, multiple views of Space X satellites burning up in orbit, the better views begin about 30 seconds into the video,

I certainly appreciate Elon Musk for Starlink. Without it and him, I would have to go to the office every day rather than work from home. I previously had access only to satellite based internet and it is unacceptable for my needs. Starlink more than fixed that and I pay half the price that I was paying for the garbage.

Used to work for a software company in Camberley. Main A30 London road passed along outside. With a set of traffic lights to manage traffic into and out of the town centre. Traffic turning right - ie, across in front of the opposite carriageway, coz we drive on the left - waited in a filter lane. The filter lane lights were activated by a rectangular coil buried under the road surface to detect if there was a car waiting to turn right. Or a van, lorry, bus, ambulance, refuse truck.

But the coil would not detect motorbikes or bicycles.

Provided endless entertainment in those moments when the rider realised the light was never gonna change. Seen rider roll forward just over the Stop line and gesture to the car behind to move forward. Some drivers cotton on and move forward over the coil, but others think, Wot's this pillock up to?

Seen riders get really angry, eventually abandon the attempt to head into the town and just roar away straight ahead. Seen others wait for a gap in the oncoming traffic and make an illegal but entirely rational manoeuvre.

Made me imagine road engineers, sitting in their office, discussing routes and traffic flows and how to manage it all safely. By the time the meeting breaks up, we can all be confident we've covered every traffic possibility?

Last edited:
That is a great video Jim, and certainly, these ding-danged light sensors are a big issue around here.

One of our "special" problems is that we get winter weather and so (I am told) the Civil-types tend to bury the sensor wires a little deeper to try to protect them from snow ploughs - which of course makes them even less sensitive to motorcycles.

I have done the old....look around and gun it through the intersection trick but that is, strictly speaking, highly illegal and running a red light is nearly a hanging offense in Ontario (unlike blocking major trade routes or Parliament which seems to mostly lead to hot tubbing and street BBQs....;)). I have also resorted to the double-right with a U-turn dodge to get around/through the intersection - but again, U-turns are not legal everywhere and so the local LEOs can get excited if they see you do it.

Generally, I just try to avoid intersections where I need to depend on the mercy of some faceless traffic sensor.

Pete

Last edited:
Those sensor wires are everywhere here. Usually there is enough surrounding traffic that they will trip them. If I find myself alone at a light , I typically try to stop right on top of them. If that doesn’t work, I have a two light change policy. If I get skipped twice, I look both ways and gun it. I should clarify here, I’m not talking about running a red light when there is cross traffic, I only do this if I’m waiting in a left turn lane and it’s simply not giving me the turn arrow. I would not blow through a red light and cross moving traffic, that’s a death wish around here.

That is a great video Jim, and certainly, these ding-danged light sensors are a big issue around here.

One of our "special" problems is that we get winter weather and so (I am told) the Civil-types tend to bury the sensor wires a little deeper to try to protect them from snow ploughs - which of course makes them even less sensitive to motorcycles.

I have done the old....look around and gun it through the intersection trick but that is, strictly speaking, highly illegal and running a red light is nearly a hanging offense in Ontario (unlike blocking major trade routes or Parliament which seems to mostly lead to hot tubbing and street BBQs....;)). I have also resorted to the double-right with a U-turn dodge to get around/through the intersection - but again, U-turns are not legal everywhere and so the local LEOs can get excited if they see you do it.

Generally, I just try to avoid intersections where I need to depend on the mercy of some faceless traffic sensor.

Pete
We have one of those intersections at the end of our Main Street. I usually wait for a car to get in front of me but if that fails I’ll sometimes jump off the bike, run to the pedestrian cross walk button, hit it and head back to the bike. Murphy’s Law usually kicks in though. As I approach the button, the light will change, leaving an abandoned motorcycle blocking traffic. Lol.

Missouri also allows you to run the red after a "reasonable" period. For me that's the second one.

Back