VIN numbers

littlebill31

Smells of Raw Fuel
Reaction score
Ok, I had to go to the DMV for the vehicle safety check and the guy told me my VIN was missing a letter. On the title the VIN starts with JYA4M4XXXXXX, but on the bike the J is missing. Now I have to go to some Auto Theft Unit thing on the 17th. Anyone know what the J is and why it is on the title, but no the bike?

I have the same year as you and I'm pretty certain the 'J' is on my bike and title both. Are you missing the white sticker?

The sticker is on there and all the numbers, just the J is missing on the sticker. It's on the title. Weird. Best part is that the title is already in my name and it's tagged/insured in my name. I just went for the annual safety check. Idiots.
I've seen the JYA on about all the '80's bikes I've seen. So, it probably just denotes the manufacturer. The 4M4 is obviously a XS650 SH, then the rest are the numbers to the individual bike. They didn't care when I first got the title.
I just want some solid info on what the letters mean so when I walk in there I can prove that it doesn't really pertain to the ownership of the bike.

I found out that the J means it was made in Japan. YA means Yamaha. 4M4 is the SH and the 10th letter is the year. B for '81.
Whooo, I'm so glad the idiots at the DMV caught this. Could you imagine if I really owned a Velocette made in Brazil, but thought it was a XS650? Now I can sleep 'cuz I know I really have a Japanese Yamaha.

It'll be interesting to see how they resolve it. It's hard to picture them letting any physical discrepancy between the two stand, even knowing what the missing letter stands for.

Actually I just double checked and the numbers match the bike perfectly. They are both identical, so the idiot somehow didn't see it. I was so mad I wasn't thinking straight and should have double checked there. So I emailed the 2 pics I took to the supervisor and am about to go back down there. He wasn't happy 'cuz now he has to stay later. Screw them, I missed a day of work to get it checked and they fucked up so they're gonna wait!

Why does the sticker have to be there at all? It's the numbers that are stamped into the neck that are most important. So if the sticker was missing alltogeather it means your bike can never be safety inspected in the state of Delaware? What a crock of shit. The sticker is just that, "A Sticker". Its not permanent like a metal stamping. The stickers on both my 79 and 81 were destroyed when the frames were repainted. The stamped numbers are there and thats all the cops care about. I thought New York sucked. My suggestion littlebill is to turn yourself in now, beg for mercy. You obviously stole the bike and were turning it into a terrorist bomb when the hero at the DMV found the mistake and saved the country........Fuck I had too much coffee today :banghead:.

hahaha my 81 sticker has nothing on it . its all wore out. cant find a vin number stamp on frame anywhere but it does have a serial number thats wothless in ms for getting a title

.Fuck I had too much coffee today :banghead:.

LOL

they fucked up so they're gonna wait!

That's good, anyway. Here it would most definitely be "We close at five, and we'll be here at nine o'clock in the morning." I would have told the inspector to look again, because before I traded my samolians for the title I matched the title to the frame :)

I just got back. Man that guy was not happy. He looked at it and said, "He said it wasn't there?" LMAO. I told him the original inspector might have been side tracked while playing with his phone...next to the sign that says, "No cell phone use". Double unhappy. Then he realized the title was already in my name and I was just there for a safety check, not an inspection. Triple unhappy.

BigGeorge~ unfortunetly because the title has 17 digits, so the bike has to match. But you are right, the hero at the DMV successfully stopped my trying to pass a WMD off as a 1981 Japanese Yamaha. Back to the drawing board.

I'm in NY. On my 81 The sticker has the 17 digit number. The frame has the 9 digit number. The title has the 9 digit number. Works for me.

GOOD OLD DMV AND I THOUGH IT WAS JUST ME ALWAYS GETTING SCREWED!!!
Glad NJ has no more inspections on bikes anymore. Take title get tag and go!!!!
I went to DMV to get a title for a bike over 25 years old the paper for applying says bike MUST PASS NJ INSPECTION ....THERE IS NONE NO MORE !!! and i was there for a hour until a supervisor came out and said she didn't know what to do DUH!!!!!
I called TRENTON and they said the law has to be changed and that was there answer.

I bought my bike from Jersey. I still have a Jersey tag good 'till August or something. Guy left it on. I even asked if he wanted it and he said no. Do you have to turn them in?

Back