War on Drugs?

jpdevol

Hacker of Frames,Wires and other things
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
So a couple posts in "justa joke" got me on this subject. I think we all recognize that there has been a huge drug problem for a long time. Nixon declared "public enemy #1" in 1971, the DEA created in '73. How's that going now?

So, we can go to the ME and declare war on Islamic Terrorists that killed 3,000 folks in the Towers, on Flight 93 and the Pentagon on 9/11, yet can't employ the same against MEX Cartels that, by and large, are the source of illicit drugs that kill 100,000 each year!?

Combating drugs in the country is analogous to combating a leaking roof: you can run around the house with buckets and such, catching all the drips (local police), or you can go up on the roof and repair the source of intrusion (military action on Cartels).

Is the difference in policy because of the difference in socio-economic status of the victims?, the respected sovereignty of the country involved?, or something else?

i would think that Mexico would love to see the cartel removed but there's a lot of corruption going on down there
A friends son died because the street drugs he was using had fentenal as part of the mixture
He got addicted to pain killers and when the doctors cut him off he turned to the street

So a couple posts in "justa joke" got me on this subject. I think we all recognize that there has been a huge drug problem for a long time. Nixon declared "public enemy #1" in 1971, the DEA created in '73. How's that going now?

So, we can go to the ME and declare war on Islamic Terrorists that killed 3,000 folks in the Towers, on Flight 93 and the Pentagon on 9/11, yet can't employ the same against MEX Cartels that, by and large, are the source of illicit drugs that kill 100,000 each year!?

Combating drugs in the country is analogous to combating a leaking roof: you can run around the house with buckets and such, catching all the drips (local police), or you can go up on the roof and repair the source of intrusion (military action on Cartels).

Is the difference in policy because of the difference in socio-economic status of the victims?, the respected sovereignty of the country involved?, or something else?
Fair comments JP. Maybe drugs shouldn’t be the source of humour here.
Totally with you regarding the approach to MEX cartels; after all plenty of their product ends up killing people on the streets of the UK, and other countries around the world.

Thanks Ads. I had no problem with the humor at all, but I could see the discussion coming and well.......
It's better discussed here:)

I know drugs aren't just a US problem, it just seems so (we're a bit Americentric here. lol)

Last edited:
Hands up, I had a problem with drugs and alcohol in my youth; mostly cannabis resin products and amphetamine, when involved in the music industry. Lost a few friends during this period including a suicide. This still didn’t wake me up. Then I met my wife and my life changed (married 40+ years) for the better. Drug life can be a blinkered one way street for the user. These days social drugs like cocaine are prevalent in many levels of society. Functioning alcoholics and drug takers are about in all walks of life today. The cartels are feeding what is now considered a glamorous life; footballers, socialites and even politicians are ‘model’ users (influencers) that impressionable younger people look up too. What is the world coming too?

It's difficult to address war on drugs/cartels without simultaneously addressing the border issue....they go hand in hand re trafficking and proliferation of fentanyl and other illicets. Sad to see this happening in our nation. Total enforcement actions at our border went from 640k in 2020 to over 2.24M in 2022. This includes those that are turned away or sent back. When illegal drugs are determined, they are not immediately extradited...they go through our criminal justice system...overwhelming law enforcement. They need to cut the head off the snake (cartels) while also shutting down their distribution network (open borders). To be clear, I am all for legal immigration.

Singapore, Thailand, Philippines, Malaysia and 31 other country`s all have the death penalty for drug offenses while the US has it`s drug tolerant "Head up it`s Ass":wtf: I smell a (Cartel Kick Back) at our highest political levels. You know 10% for the big guy, (guys):cussing:

1663021358598.png

I have no ideas. I have someone close in prison for being an addict. I guess she's better off there than dead on the street, but she needs a hospital more than prison. But..... She has no medical insurance of course.

On top of that, there are many innocent victims of violence because, drugs.

Sorry, no solution here.

From : https://www.dea.gov/sites/default/f...8-20 Fentanyl Flow in the United States_0.pdf

OUTLOOK
The flow of fentanyl to the United States in the near future will probably continue to be diversified. The
emergence of India as a precursor chemical and fentanyl supplier as well as China’s newly implemented
regulations have significant ramifications for how TCOs’ fentanyl and fentanyl precursor chemical
supply chains will operate. Mexican TCOs are likely poised to take a larger role in both the production
and the supply of fentanyl and fentanyl-containing illicit pills to the United States, especially if China’s
proposed regulations and enforcement protocols are implemented effectively. Fentanyl production and
precursor chemical sourcing may also expand beyond the currently identified countries as fentanyl lacks
the geographic source boundaries of heroin and cocaine as these must be produced from plant-based
materials.
This product was prepared by the DEA Intelligence Program — Strategic Intelligence Section. Comments and
questions may be addressed to the Chief, Indicator Programs Section at DEA.IntelligenceProducts@usdoj.gov.
For media/press inquiries call (202) 307-7977.
DFN-701-03—Destroy 2 years after issuance or when the report is superseded or obsolete.

It’s a bigger problem than the cartels. I treat more patients by far for pharmaceutical drug addictions than I do classic street drugs these days. Fixing the drug problem is much more than closing borders or going after cartels, there’s way more hands in the game.
I don't pretend to know IL nor your patient base, but in my area prescription narcotics, benzos, etc. have become so tightly controlled it is difficult to get a prescription and those prescribed can't be refilled early, can only have two refills before another prescriber visit and if medicaid, etc. often involve urinalysis to make sure one is taking them vs. selling them. The pharmaceutical abuse, here, is now a much smaller problem than it used to be. The opposite is true of gang supplied street drugs.

The crime is significantly linked to meth and the deaths linked to fentanyl. I'm not saying pharma doesn't have addiction - it certainly does - it's a different world from street drugs and that "supply chain".

The pharmaceutical abuse, here, is now a much smaller problem than it used to be.
I've only been here three years, so I only know what people tell me. They tell me doctors are a big part of the problem around here. You say you hurt, they give you the pills.

OUTLOOK
The flow of fentanyl to the United States in the near future will probably continue to be diversified.
China has been the source of much of the illicit fentanyl, alluded to in DEA memo, but the supply chain has largely gone through the MEX Cartels and their partners: US street-gangs. The Chinese and Indian producers (like the Afghan opium farmers) have no distribution network.

Wide prescription/ medical recommendation of Oxycontin fueled the beginning of this round of narcotics addiction. There tends to be a 50 year cycle of narcotics use/abuse. The lessons of the last crisis are slowly forgotten/ignored til the next round starts.
The ability to manufacture narcotics has changed the game. The war will have to be fought at the user end of the chain.
Having come of age during last big narcotics surge the schools worked hard to warn about stigmatize drug use. Are they doing that this time around? I truly don't know.
My daughter's suicide at the age of 31 had a lot to do with an addiction to Doctor prescribed Oxycontin.

I think the solution lies in Arresting the Up town User and the financiers and money Launders
Why not even Death sentences .. For bankers
Recently there was 2 men arrested with a suitcase of cash in Stockholm airport going out $ 15 000 000
Did not speak got 5 years .. That is soft on crime
Why not give them the Obstruction of Justice -- We want names leading to arrests and solutions
Otherwise you can stay in jail

The poor farmer in Afghanistan nor Colombia has little choice ..
But the Disco Club user goer has a choice he can drink alcohol Which is not without problems
But it is not illegal
I would like to se a law that makes firing and revoking drivers licenses mandatory on top of other law enforcing

Once fired ,the question arises at the next interview why did the previous employment stop.

Rather than arrest the dumb teenager that makes a mistake as some do .. or more common the same user on the street over and over again just to have some statistics to show
the Public pretending to do something

The drug trade are causing gun violence here .And this in parts of the cities Society that the " White " sometimes female Police cant speak the language even .. Might as well send them to the jungle in Peru with the same virtually non existent results.

Generally you can not own a handgun here .. But that is not preventing Drug lords to put an illegal military handgun in the hand of a 15 year old with debts and drug problems Murdering someone .. Allegedly in the drug trade .. But the throwing of hand grenades and Shootings do hit innocent bystanders

A lot of Hot air from those who are Payed to do something about it.
Offshore banks and that S*it .Longer jail time --- value based

And the same with doctors .. Jail ..

Recent reports show major increases in flow from eastern Canada into the Northeast US.
Crack down on one supply channel, others will emerge.

Recent reports show major increases in flow from eastern Canada into the Northeast US.
Crack down on one supply channel, others will emerge.
It’s like the Hydra.....
Yes, if there is an answer it's above my paygrade. I think though, if the Cartels were destroyed, it would be a better world and I’d feel good about it.

Back