Well hell!

Johnt3

Still learning...
Reaction score
Well hell!One of my floats has a few holes in it.
Anybody have any success at soldering up holes in brass floats?
Mine still has some gas and now some water in it.
Could I just drill a small hole in the side of it and let it drain, evaporate out
then repair the leaks and holes?
Or do I buy a new one from mikesxs or yamaha?

Hi Johnt3! I've had success soldering them back to life. First off, get then in the warm to dry out. I have a very accomodating "her indoors" and she doesn't object to the occasional aroma of fuel in the airing cupboard!!! Once they're dry, steady away with a low heat torch and I used plumbers solder. Theyve been running on my Triumph for two years now

Thanks Paul.I tested it in water and no bubbles, but after I thought about it decided to heat some water up and tried again.One side looks to have 2 maybe three the other side has one.Will let it air for awhile then solder up those holes.

I have had both success and failures but more failures, nothing to loose trying I guess. If the float gets too hot while soldering it will collapse when it cools. Before you start, take a magnifying glass and look closely around the perimeter of the floats. Often there is a series of radial cracks, buy new if the cracks are there. Buy from Yamaha or maybe Sudco, I have heard of too much grief from the mikes floats.
Adding solder also changes the float weight so you will HAVE to check fuel height using the clear plastic tubing method.

Will do Scrambled.
I don't know gggGary, my eye sight isn't what it used to be.I had to get my kid to look at the jets for sizes.Ha Ha!! I'll use that magnifying glass.

just bustin' yur onions. i tried one time to solder one, and right when i thought to myself," i should be wearing glasses, some say these blow---BLAM!!!! its fun to try , but they are cheap.

Heh Heh. Yeah,They are cheap.But damn. That was the side that was flooding out.
Now I know why. Oh well I got other stuff to do on my bike anyways.

a92607ab0792905c868b45ef1eeb5d6e.jpg

$17.50 right here: MIKUNI CARB BS32/12 FLOAT OEM# 256-14985-00-00

If you unsolder this hole then you can solder around the float without it going crazy don't get it to hot, (possible to fall off the tang) then seal that hole last

Attachments

• a92607ab0792905c868b45ef1eeb5d6e.jpg
    a92607ab0792905c868b45ef1eeb5d6e.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 46
some 1980's had brass floats. mine did.considering going to foam when these go. Correct me if im wrong but i think its a straight swap in the bs34's.

angus can I correct you even if you're right? Yes for sure swap to plastic floats in the BS34s, use the plastic float height spec. I have seen a bunch of leaky and or crushed brass floats but haven't found a bad plastic float yet.
Too bad there isn't a plastic float for BS38s or is there?

dunno bout the plastic floats for 38's.
I would have bought plastics for my 34's but someone here said they dont sit right because they arent sleeved where the pin goes thru, and the floats can stick the needle open.

Back