What are these worth? Kawi H1 & H2

DanW

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I followed a co-worker to his house to check out 2 bikes he wants to get rid of (as a set)--both 1972's Kawi H1 & H2. They are both in rough condition-- the H2 turns over with the kick start but the H2 doesn't. Co-worker says of course they both ran before he put them in the shed several years ago. My original plan was to cafe an older RD400 once I finished my xs650 but this deal came up and I may just pull the trigger--there's something about a triple cylinder 2-stroker that sounds mean. I'll be keeping the H2 and selling the H1--minimal rust in both tanks, carbs both need cleaning, tires are all crap, dead batteries, -- and owner lost the titles so he says he'll file for a duplicate title for both bikes. What do you think they're worth as a pair? Or would you scrap this idea and look for a RD?

Yes, those triples are going for big bucks today. The '72 H1 was sort of the "black sheep" of the 500 family. All had electronic ignitions but that year. It had 3 sets of points which can be a real chore to set up. It's the least desirable 500 of the bunch. Still worth a good buck I'm sure, just not as much as the others.

The '72 H2 on the other hand, is sought after. It was the first year of the 750. It and the 1st year 500 ('69) are probably the most valuable.

Another thing with 2 strokes, especially ones that have sat a long time, is the crankshaft seals. They can go bad. A two stroke needs good crankshaft seals to run right. Replacing them is a major ordeal because the crank has to be split. You can send it out of course, but you're looking at $300 to $400.

Thanks for the info guys. My co-worker wants $4K for both and I'm thinking if I can unload the 500 for $1000 to $1500 I'm in good shape (I think).

1st 2 pics are the 500---the 2nd 2 pics are the 750

Attachments

• H1.JPG
    H1.JPG
    209.6 KB · Views: 92
  • H1.1.JPG
    H1.1.JPG
    208.8 KB · Views: 102
  • H2.JPG
    H2.JPG
    200.5 KB · Views: 100
  • H2.1.JPG
    H2.1.JPG
    199.3 KB · Views: 93
I think with a little bit of work they can both be up and running fairly easy so maybe I'm a little harsh on their condition. I'm thinking I'll pic them up--sell the 500--get the 750 running and rideable-- and finish the xs. Thanks for everyone's help!

Dan, I had one of those 500s sold it in 79 or 80 (for like $300) and would love another if your selling and not to far away.

If I had the time and dollars I'd love to cafe one of these. They have great natural style and would be a real sleeper but I'd say they'd require a bit to get set right.

Slightly different build using an H2 motor worth dropping in here:

http://kawasakikhregister.myfastforum.org/archive/project-kwikasfaki__o_t__t_1309.html

Do not cafe these under any circumstances.
You will ruin them. I would restore them or sell them, don't hack them up or you will completely change what they are worth. Restored H2 s are going for a mint but hacked up triples are worthless. Look on eBay right now- a restored one is posted for $12,500 (which he might get). There is also a cafe'd out one posted for a fraction of that cost. People that truly appreciate the triples are willing to pay a mint for original but wouldn't touch a hacked up cafe. On the other hand, Hipsters who want a cafe bike because they are "in", aren't willing to pay a mint for a cafe'd triple.

Last edited:
I think with a little bit of work they can both be up and running fairly easy so maybe I'm a little harsh on their condition. I'm thinking I'll pic them up--sell the 500--get the 750 running and rideable-- and finish the xs. Thanks for everyone's help!

Be prepared to be on your own when it comes to working on these bikes. My brother has an H1. He's trying to get help tuning his up, nobody in the entire Milwaukee/ SE Wisconsin area will touch his bike with a 10 foot pole. This is common with triples from what I hear- nobody will work on them because they are too finicky and time consuming. If it were me, I would purchase them and turn right around and flip them for a profit on eBay. Awesome bikes but a royal pain in the ass. If you want a 2 stroke, you can usually still get a rebuilt RZ350

That's an amazing build Austblue! Wish I had half the skills. Dedede-- I'll let you know if/when I get this deal to go through-- should be within 3 weeks. Sbaugz-- I agree--there is no web-site like this one with members more than happy to help for the kawi triples--none that I have found yet. And I'm not commited to the cafe but would like to clean the lines up like this one which is on flea-bay right now

Attachments

• IMG_0360_zpsf12d91aeh1.jpg
    IMG_0360_zpsf12d91aeh1.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 67
Back