What have you done to your XS today?

Bar end mirror brackets used as cable holder.
FDDAA492-FB25-46C3-930B-604C6A3FE6C4.jpg

Changed to 25 pj and moved the clip all around and mid ran crappy. Said fuck it. Went back to 27.5 pj and top of the needle.

Adjusted chain. Wired up my tractor light to work as a brake light. And finally got a timing light. Wanted to verify my timing was correct. It was pretty spot on. I have it retarded just a bit.

Got her out of the shed Saturday and into the garage. Found out the battery wouldn't take a charge. She sat all last year. Didn't have time with all the work around the house.

Bought a new Battery on Sunday and she fired up on the 3rd kick. Will need plugs and oil change after work this week.

Spend some more time cleaning her up next W.E. and get her state inspected.

Ready for the season in 2 weeks.

Happy Riding!
Slimbob

Saw a listing for a springer with fork leg slightly pulled in due to improper spacers used. I go and measure mines and sure enough it was slightly bowed in the ends. Less than 1/4 of an inch. So I moved few spacers around and added washer to push leg out a bit. All good now. Since rear tire was up in the air decided to clean lube chain.

Balanced carbs, set the idle mixtures. Hopefully sealed the tank to petcock joint. Gonna get her insured and registered. It's time to ride the wheels off my baby!

Saturday it hit 70 here in MD(it's snowing it's ass off now ...) so I pulled the valves out of the head, soda blasted the head and rocker cover, lapped the valves a bit, put new valve seals in and buttoned the springs back up. Dropped pistons off at the machinist today, should have freshly bored cylinders back by the weekend. Also ordered a seat cover. Gettin' there ...

Glad you Guys in the sates that had bad weathers are dusting off the bikes to ride.

Today installed 18t front. So I'm now 18t front 30 rear. I like it !!!!
Also finally decided to do this. ...
E540A6D2-6A10-4A37-A422-32941B27936C.jpg

Time to bang through some gears and stall at a few red lights. Lol.

Took my baby out for her first post rebuild run. More tuning to be done but she's a RUNNER!

^^^ nice. And is tuning ever really done. Lol.

Version 2.0 for my shifter.

FB34F693-698E-4BFC-B61A-004D9BBB7F9A.jpg

Needed a bit more leverage. Might down a bit. But shifts like butter now :) and no stalling even on a slight hill making a left turn.

Latest version.
0E03CE2C-7C45-4830-A87F-7D8F62198BA3.jpg

Last edited:
i dig that shifter, Dirtygreaser!
Today i finished repainting the front wheel. started with faded old paint, spent some time with blue painters tape and an exacto knife, and finished it off with Rustoleum Appliance epoxy. we'll see in a year how it holds up. I did the rear a few weeks ago with krylon, we can take bets on which fades first.

Also got into the carbs and lowered the needles 2 slots.. and still have an upper midrange breakup. guess i'll have to mess with the jets. :confused:
got it back together and took it for a quick lap around the neighborhood.

Yeah, after seeing the casting marks on the rims, i was REALLY tempted to drill em on the spot. carbs are BS 34's. i got the jet kit from mike's with one size up mains and pilots. just need to keep playing with em i guess, get the fine tuning in. it starts second kick most every time, and idles smooth, just stumbles a bit at the top end.

Thanks Airwolfie!
After sanding by hand for about 15 minutes I knew it was going to be a lot of work.
So I happen to know where there is a pipe polisher that I can use.
It looks like this. This is a $800.00 machine.:wtf: that's what I thought the first time I saw one. This one has polished many feet of stainless steel and aluminum.
I sanded off powder coat with a scotchbright belt then used the belt in the pic to polish the handle smooth.
I could use a 2000 grit belt and get it real shiny.
full

By hand it looked like this after this after 15 minutes
full

After 1 minute it looked like this with the polisher
full

5 or 6 minutes like this
full

Throttle will now fit :thumbsup:
Installed throttle control and cruise control
full

Got the pipes coated and the heat shield smoothed out. Just waiting on wrap. also got the battery tucked up in the starter cavity.

Attachments

• IMG_0183.jpg
    IMG_0183.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_0184.jpg
    IMG_0184.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_0179.jpg
    IMG_0179.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_0188.jpg
    IMG_0188.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 148
^ looking good. Like the battery location.

Dieselmech ... It's floating in the air :)

I have a small bracket attached on the left side points cover screw to pivot. And large upside down "L" bracket that connects to headlight bracket to pivot.

Back