What years are best?

QTreiber

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the opportunity to buy a 1975 XS650 locally and was wondering if I should pass and wait until I find a later model.

I have been looking for a Standard for quite some time now and was hoping to find a 1977-1979 model. As far as I know 1977 or later models have some desirable improvements.

What are the improvements and how significant are they?

Any input would be appreciated!

Greetings from Colorado,
Armin

any standard after 74 when the frame was changed, 77 changed fork tube dia from 34mm to 35mm, 80 and later TCI ignition, and the rear brake disc or drum but since either is capable of locking up the rear that is a toss up as to which is better.. of all the improvments (IMHO) the only one that amounts to a hill of beans is the TCI unless you're going to flog it hard enough to need the stiffer fork tubes the 75 would be fine if you don't want to deal with the points,.... PAMCO

If I had one and it blew its rotor or stator I would likely retrofit it with TCI.

To my eye the 75 black/gold is the best looking of the "standard"s, but then again I'm biased - I own one and paid what would be considered more than reasonable to get mine - but as I understand it all the good improvements came in 74 with the TX650A, all subsequent models just had detail improvements... as noted above.

I.

In 74 they did many changes to the frame to strengthen the frame. They also did many changes to the engine. 74 was the first year of the 447 engine. They didn't do any major changes after that. Changes in the carbs, camchain adjusters, evey two years. THe forks and front brake got chnged in 77. single piston floating calipers, 35 mm fork tubes.
A few changes in the electrics, TCI was the only good one, the turnsignal canceller was a not so good one.

Linked carbs from '77 on. Easier to sync and stay that way longer.

In my opinion 1980, '81 TCI ignition, 35 mm forks. Newer is generally better. The Heritage '82, '83 had those disgusting IMO 64 spoke wheels UGH!

I thought it was only me, but after riding these for over 40 years and many of the different years I would HAVE to say the 75 as well.
I have witnessed the highest mileage on the 75's, I love the look of the bike with that Black Gold Combo, (only the 73TX comes close)
It is the only year that seems to not have a self oiling chain, lol.
The least electronic worries and the handling is super. It is the LAST of the Traditional XS-650 look, every bike from then on had that hunched up look to me. I have no problem with the points, I keep a spare points and condenser set in my tool bag. I have never used the electronic starter but this one works fine, it seems they got the starter bugs worked out too. Mine starts 1st kick 90% of the time and on the 2nd the other 10%.
yep it is the 75 for me... PS: I realize this is an old thread..

I love my 75, spent a month looking at all years of the XS production and settled on the black & gold. Admittedly, mine was a bit of a dud, but in saying that, it's given me invaluable insight as to how to fix the gem when it does falter....now that I've breathed new life into it. A everyday rider, rain or shine, just love it :heart:

A few changes in the electrics, TCI was the only good one, the turnsignal canceller was a not so good one.

I've had my bike for 33 years. The auto signal canceler still works fine! The only thing wrong with it is that it trains me the drive forever with the signal on if the bike doesn't have it.

IMHO, the TX650A and XS650B had very fugly mufflers. Not that there's anything wrong with that!

Back