What's a good price....

briandrex

Snowtrain
Reaction score
Looking at few xs650's with titles? What is a good price for a runner with a title. I don't think I'd end up keeping it stock but it would make it nice to start with a runner and then start modifying it instead of bringing it back completely from the dead.

If the bike is in good shape meaning no rust and runs strong is $1000 a good number to start with? I see prices all the way up to $3000 or more for stock runners. Just want to get a fair price is all.

Thanks,

Brian

It depends a lot on your area and what year you are looking at. I've seen prices fluxuate a lot even across the U.S. Around here, a later model with lower miles that runs well and looks pretty good will go for about $1,100 to $1,400. There are always exceptions of course where they can be found for cheaper or where someone will pay more.

Travis,

That seems like a reasonable price range. I know KBB trade in put the later models in the 1080+ range. I'm hoping to land a runner before winter sets in for a good project. Thanks for your reply.

Brian

1,000 seems about right, also depends on how much time you have. I hunted off and on for months before I pulled the trigger and bought one. Gotta find the deals and jump on it asap!

Got my '83 Heritage Special for $1000. Perfect shape, 25k mi, rode it home. Came with full service history.

I have seen them for as much as $1800.

p!nK

I've seen alot from the late 70's as well. For a first time xs650 rider/potential project is it better to go early 80's or are we pretty much looking at the same thing throughout the model years? Thanks for all of the replies.

Sounds like a great deal mrpink on the 83 special. I need a deal like that!

Stone if I find a deal I"m gonna jump on it for sure!

Ghetto,

I lived up in Manchester for about 3 years. Actually have an office/warehouse over in Hooksett. Problem I have with bikes out of NH is that titles are required which really hurts me down in MD. If you see any really good deals up there and your not buying let me know. I"m up and down the coast at least once a month for work.

I've yet to find a really great deal on an xs650 when passing through though. I'm sure eventually my luck will turn.

Brian

'80 and newer will get you electronic ignition and BS34 carbs. '79 and older will have BS38 carbs and points. Both work fine (when they work). I'm against hacking up a Standard model, they're getting too rare. Have at a Special, they're more plentiful, usually cost less, and very few of us care for them in their stock form anyway.

Which "us"? A Special is a better motorcycle in its stock form than a Standard. So it makes more sense to hack up the Standards. I don't think the difference in price is all that much.

Ghetto,

I lived up in Manchester for about 3 years. Actually have an office/warehouse over in Hooksett. Problem I have with bikes out of NH is that titles are required which really hurts me down in MD. If you see any really good deals up there and your not buying let me know. I"m up and down the coast at least once a month for work.

I've yet to find a really great deal on an xs650 when passing through though. I'm sure eventually my luck will turn.

Brian

title shmitle...thats eaaassssssyyyyyy :D

I paid 500 for mine.. Asthetically it was perfect, even had a lot of new parts. Mechanically it needed a new piston and a set of rings.. So all together I put about 700 between buying and rebuiding. Which I prefer myself because that way I know the parts are good, and it gave me some "alone" time with the bike, so I could get to know her..

I seldom buy "runners" so tend to pay $200 to $500 per. Other than the 70 to 72 bikes the price is fairly steady with wire wheeled bikes now being more desirable in general. I like both the roadsters (standards) and specials. Pushed the Heritage fairly hard last weekend and with tapered rollers and bronze swingarm bushings it handles just fine. Could always be better but it will never be a sport bike anyways. Rust, running and then miles is the value determiner here. Rust sucks and it torpedoes price. No big preference by me on the points vs electronic or 38s vs 34s all have their good and (not so) good points

Which "us"? A Special is a better motorcycle in its stock form than a Standard. So it makes more sense to hack up the Standards. I don't think the difference in price is all that much.
How's that? What makes it better in it stock form? Function? Styling? Modern electronics? Ease of maintainence?

All of the above, except styling would be a matter of opinion. I think the main reason some ppl prefer the Standard is it reminds them more of a Brit bike.

title shmitle...thats eaaassssssyyyyyy :D

Can you hook me up with how that's done. Assuming the VIN is clear and not stolen how do I go about getting a title? I just parted out a beautiful 1981 xs650 special II with spoked rims do to not being able to get a title.

I see alot of bikes without titles, some running, that I constantly pass on after trying to obtain one for this bike. I live in Maryland which doesn't make it easy to obtain a title. At least from what I have seen.

You guys east of the Rockies are lucky. I've only been looking for a month or so but it appears that the farther east you go the more numerous they are and the better the price (from a buyer's perspective).

Back