What's the proper length for a veolcity stack?

C-Los SD

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I'm having some velocity stacks made from Steel Dragron Performance. My question is what's is the proper length for a set of Mikuni VM34's on basically a stock engine?

Thanks

Different lengths have different effects. Longer ones help lower rpm performance, shorter ones are for higher rpm applications. Don't forget to jet the carbs accordingly, as stacks move a lot more air than filters. I have a set of steel dragon stacks but I've never tried them and my bike is currently apart at the moment or I would test them out.

Middle of the road is what I'm looking for. Is 3" ok?
What James wrote is correct....however I don't think there would be that much difference in power or where it is on the power band from the range of velocity stack sizes that you could fit with any amount of practicality on an XS.....again as James mentioned, jetting is critical when using stacks.

When your cylinder liners start wear out prematurely due to sucking in grimy unfiltered dirt causing scoring and ring wear you'll wish you had installed a filtration system.

Mine are about 3" with fine intake screens...ran them for the last 30 years on my '75. Haven't had any issues with worn rings or liners yet (still on the originals)....but then again I don't live in an arid region and I DO avoid dirt roads.

I always wished someone would make a velocity stack with a little hockey puck looking filter inside. That way you get the V-stack look and the filter.

Back