where is the complete install for the charging system upgrade?

PetesPonies

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Looking for something to do to my '75. Evidently my battery is toast, so since I need a new one, thought I might do the upgrade to the charging system that everyone is happy with. Looking for the complete explanation start to finish. Posted in tech or somewhere?? Thanks

Does anybody know how to get ahold of punkskalar? that other forum isn't cooperating w me, not sending the verification e-mail

I'm not talking about changing to a permanent magnet alternator. I'm talking about changing the regulator to the automotive type thats about $28 or so. That mod is what I'm looking for here.

I can't find the box my regulator came in. I think it was a RZ292. I got it from Advanced Auto. $13.99. When I burnt it up I got a replacement from a different store, the replacment was a $16.99 part. Glad it has a one year free replacement warranty.
Depending on what parts store you get it from makes a difference on the price.
If you follow the procedures in the link you will get a very good system. At a very good price. Just be sure the wires on the reg are correct, thats how I burnt mine up.
If you don't find one by part number, ask for one that fits a 75 Dodge Dart. Any engine size.
Easy swap, great function. On mine I get 14.5 volts by 1800 rpms with the lights on. Yours may have to rev a bit higher, I have converted to an LED tail/brake light. I have the turn signals converted to. The LED lights draw almost no current.
I got mine from www.superbrightleds.com.

Back