Why so many engine mounting points?

takehikes

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I’ve torn down bikes for over 50 years and never seen one before that has so damn many engine mounts. 5 different locations with a variety of attaching methods. Some committee did this I’m thinking.
Question is do you need them all?

It was designed to use the engine as a structural frame member for increased rigidity. I wouldn't call it a huge success, but as noted above, leaving one mount off has a noticeable affect. The two mounts on the rear both mount to the (rather beefy) downtube in close proximity to each other.... so I'd guess that the upper rear could be left off without any loss of rigidity. I wouldn't go without any of the others though.

Just to say......My top mounts were broken on my '74, brackets broken not engine, on what seemed to be an unmolested bike. The top mounts have a breakaway type of design anyway, or for some reason. Others have seen the same mount breakage. That makes me wonder about those solid- type top engine brackets available for using tanks with narrower tunnels. Maybe the solid brackets are too strong, possibly resulting in a crack in the engine casting?

Scott

Just to say......My top mounts were broken on my '74, brackets broken not engine, on what seemed to be an unmolested bike. The top mounts have a breakaway type of design anyway, or for some reason. Others have seen the same mount breakage. That makes me wonder about those solid- type top engine brackets available for using tanks with narrower tunnels. Maybe the solid brackets are too strong, possibly resulting in a crack in the engine casting?

Scott
Gotta say I've always wondered about that "overly complicated" top mount..........
60-70 XS's been through here, including several Real bad wrecked bikes. Never seen a broken or even bent top mount..... Got a pic?

Gotta say I've always wondered about that "overly complicated" top mount..........
60-70 XS's been through here, including several Real bad wrecked bikes. Never seen a broken or even bent top mount..... Got a pic?

I've got a pic somewhere, and a few more maybe. Sitting here with Covid, lots of time but not much energy yet. Da future do look bright. :):)

Scott

Back