Wife would kill me but.....

A woman I work with has a rather cluttered garage that they don't park their cars in. She took some boxes out to the garage one day and lo and behold there sat a shiny new Harley Davidson. She confronted her husband about it and he said " What? That old thing?" He had bought it about 6 weeks prior and never told her! Hahaha!
She took it all in stride, but I'm not sure that would be the average reaction.

gggGarys wife being the exception of course! Somehow he's got her convinced that dragging home every old bike in Wisconsin makes good financial sense!

" Cara Mia! I have two more bikes in the back of the van."
image.jpeg

I just learned there is a hole in the top of the right piston. Makes things a little more interesting. My offer will be dropping.

Last edited:
It is better to beg forgiveness than to ask permission. I drag stuff home and don't ask. If she says anything I have the responses ready.

1. Your car is new, mine is not (deflection)
2. Didn't cost her a dime
3. You don't have to deal with it
4. Why do you have so many shoes? (more deflection)

....or you could try:

"You're such a loving wife and I know how much my happiness means to you, plus how difficult I am to shop for - so, really, I bought it for you honey!" [the BS approach].

....BTW, the BS approach seldom works in a direct sense - but it often makes them laugh at you - and in my experience, once they're laughing at you, you're in like flint.

Last edited:
My wife is into embroidery and you'd think the fact that I just bought her an $8000 machine would have some sway but her blinders will go on for that! lol

There ya go!

...now you just have to make sure that he does NOT laugh at you....

It is better to beg forgiveness than to ask permission. I drag stuff home and don't ask. If she says anything I have the responses ready.

1. Your car is new, mine is not (deflection)
2. Didn't cost her a dime
3. You don't have to deal with it
4. Why do you have so many shoes? (more deflection)

I used to use a version of #4 in desperate situations.

I quit smoking in 1976 partly because cigarettes went from $1/carton to $1.10 a carton at the base exchange. Damned if I was gonna pay that much for cigarettes!

Wife didn't quit until just a few years back and cigarettes were rapidly approaching $50 a carton!

So when she hit me with "How much money did you piss away on that thing?" I'd hit her with "Oh, about 5 cartons of cigarettes..." That left her with nothing to say.

Usually for several days...

RD perish the thought! I looked the CL ad over pretty good, but I was forced to buy a 74 last month in very similar condition.

20170524_180408.jpg

That and "period piece are the only two XS bought this year, I'm cutting back. The furthest I have driven to buy an XS is North Dakota (twice, each time for multiple bikes :eek:) I'd rather drive to North Dakota than go through Chicago to get to Michigan. Last year I managed a net decrease in bikes held here. This year I'm back up 3 so far. A Honda v twin Ascot is leaving for Georgia next week, have a couple more on CL but no bites yet.

RD perish the thought! I looked the CL ad over pretty good, but I was forced to buy a 74 last month in very similar condition.

View attachment 101289

That and "period piece are the only two XS bought this year, I'm cutting back. The furthest I have driven to buy an XS is North Dakota (twice, each time for multiple bikes :eek:) I'd rather drive to North Dakota than go through Chicago to get to Michigan. Last year I managed a net decrease in bikes held here. This year I'm back up 3 so far. A Honda v twin Ascot is leaving for Georgia next week, have a couple more on CL but no bites yet.
Gary don't get me started on Shitcago. Can't argue about driving near it. There is the route through the U P and over that would definitely be more enjoyable.

I don't even LOOK for XS's, A guy came up to me at the Slimy Crud and made me buy that 74, apparently I have that insane bike hoarder look. There's a story thread about the 74 here somewhere. It has a near NOS seat now, thanks to TimeMachine, still looking for correct mufflers, but haven't heard it run yet so no rush.

A guy came up to me at the Slimy Crud and made me buy that 74, apparently I have that insane bike hoarder look.

Oh come now Gary - that really cannot be true....who could think such a thing....oh dear me....how unkind of anyone to say that....
:lmao:

....I mean, how many is it now?

21....34....59....?

.....and they call the chap from Fredericksburg TX "TooMany...."

Wife will disagree a bit but in round numbers currently; 15) XS650 and 4 "non" XS650. The 74 "brown widow" came from a 26 bike collection. Guy died before he "got to" most of them.

Back