Will the side covers work with VM34s?

mike_d

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Title says it all. Previous owner of my 77 xs installed VM34s with pods. Right now, it is running great and I am not looking to change the carbs BUT I'd really like the side covers on as they look great. I attached a photo with the pod removed and you can see that even if I cut the side cover (which I'd rather not do) it'll still look silly. Any suggestions on a route to take to get everything lined up and looking good down there?

Also, should I be using pods with the VM34s? The ones currently on there are junk, I was going to just replace them with K&Ns. Is there a better way to go?

Thanks All

Attachments

• IMG_20140527_145327.jpg
    IMG_20140527_145327.jpg
    245.7 KB · Views: 300
I wonder what would happen if you swapped sides on the intakes? That carb looks rather angled up.. I have an 79 with VM34s and the side covers fit and look fine.

In this view I think it was wearing VM38s and it has rather big foam pods

side view.jpg

Title says it all. Previous owner of my 77 xs installed VM34s with pods. Right now, it is running great and I am not looking to change the carbs BUT I'd really like the side covers on as they look great. I attached a photo with the pod removed and you can see that even if I cut the side cover (which I'd rather not do) it'll still look silly. Any suggestions on a route to take to get everything lined up and looking good down there?

Hi Mike,
like Gary sez, those carbs are tilted up.
Is it possible that your dreaded PO installed the intakes upside down?
Try flipping them over and see if the carbs line up with the side covers.
BTW, did the PO junk the stock air filters?
Some kinda pod may be the most available option.
My own Heritage still has it's stock teddybear fur air filters but my son installed those K & N knockoffs from MikesXS that at least say XS on them and his '80 Special runs OK.

Thank you!

I had noticed they were tilting upwards but it had not ocurred to me to flip the manifold. I'll give it a try and see. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll report back.

as above,but depends on the pods but there is a alternative.bloke on ebay usa sells plastic café racer side covers( no bulge at the front,follows the line of the frame) which you can cut with a heat knife to fit if need be. have bought some and happy with them

Thanks guys! PO did put the manifolds on wrong. Got it sorted today. Looks so much better and it seems to run even better as well. Thanks again.

Attachments

• IMG_20140529_184226.jpg
    IMG_20140529_184226.jpg
    304.2 KB · Views: 242
Back