Will this swap into my XS2 handlebar switch?

Mailman

Hardly a Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
My left side handlebar control switch has a broken off headlight dimmer switch.
14761A9A-DB0B-415E-9605-91FA9D12AD02.jpeg

I have not been able to locate a suitable replacement. I ordered a knock off from Taiwan, but it is incredibly cheesy and I can’t for the life of me figure out the wiring, besides I’d really like to keep the original switch.
So....this brings me to my question. I’ve been searching on eBay and I believe Yamaha used the sliding button that I’m missing on a lot of different bikes of the same era. Here are some examples.

DT250 ( and 175 and 360 and 400) and XT500
FAAB00FF-7EB8-4AA0-8F79-E3CE30CAE544.jpeg

TX750 and 500
871C2292-985E-4A03-85F2-EB763FD853A1.jpeg

Other years of XS650, even though the switch layout has changed, the dimmer switch is a pretty simple function.
E0C7DA2E-AD30-4480-8662-B999A5A12F62.jpeg

So, am I thinking right? Or are there likely differences that I’m not seeing?
Thanks Bob

At least some of the ones in your pictures have a metal shaft and yours appears to have a (broken) plastic shaft so it's probably a whole different thing. It's pretty easy to make little parts out of plastic as a last resort. Then maybe you could use a thumbpiece like in the pictures on it.

I ordered a knock off from Taiwan, but it is incredibly cheesy and I can’t for the life of me figure out the wiring, besides I’d really like to keep the original switch.
Have you looked at just swapping out the plastic slider that's broke? Maybe the knockoff copied it and they'll interchange....

If I'm not mistaken, you have some motorcycle boneyards in your area. If I recall from when I was out there many years ago, there was a rather large one near the airport. Maybe you could grab a couple screwdrivers and go scrounging, lol. I'll bet they even have a big box full of switches on the shelf. Or how about Daniel? He get any in his parts stash?

You’re right there is a boneyard in Phoenix, Daniel also has a set , I’m working on him! Lol!
eBay also has a lot of messed up switches that are fairly cheap but good for parts.
I’m going to find a way to fix my original switch before this is all over!

Yes, you're going to have to get eyes on the parts to know whether they'll swap/fit. Maybe Daniel will let you just inspect his spares for the proper fit, then if they work, you can buy some cheap ones off eBay. The part numbers differ between '73 and newer switches and '72 and older switches. It's hard to say exactly what that means as far as the internal parts go, some could differ. I think it's good that you are refurbing the original. I would rather use original Yamaha stuff whenever possible. That's why I pour over so many parts diagrams cross-referencing stuff. Used 650 parts prices are often higher than the same comparable part from another model.

Last edited:
That’s what I’ve noticed too. There’s a lot of used parts out there for old two stroke enduros and and other models, that are relatively inexpensive. And to my eye, they look very similar.

Mailman do these parts look like what you are looking for? I believe they are off a 1972 XS650
xs650 switch.png

I believe in the bag those bits were the contact, springs and also the tiny screw that holds the thumb piece to the stem all are there as well.

Last edited:
I disassembled my old switch today, broke it all down and cleaned it, and shined up all the contacts. It was pretty nasty and corroded inside, but it’s all good now. I know that the broken switch is also missing the tiny ball bearing that serves as the detent , so you get that click click when you move the switch.

I could rob one from an old switch or even my new one.

Here’s a couple of before shots.
50CFD0C2-5D72-41B4-92A5-3B4CA575A771.jpeg

2108FFF4-063A-418A-8FEE-69DF44F6D114.jpeg

It’s all in pieces, cleaned and shined and bagged up until I get repair parts.

Do you have any white lithium grease? That works well on the plastic to plastic and plastic to metal moving parts. Normal grease can be used on the metal to metal ones .....

TOfxeKk.jpg

Looks a lot better. How is the gray sleeve. now would be the time to replace it if its brittle.

Do you have any white lithium grease? That works well on the plastic to plastic and plastic to metal moving parts. Normal grease can be used on the metal to metal ones .....

TOfxeKk.jpg

Yes sir! Grease is something I can handle!

Looks a lot better. How is the gray sleeve. now would be the time to replace it if its brittle.

Haha, I think you’re looking at 5Twins pic. My stuff is cleaned up but in pieces.
I bought a whole bunch of silver wire sleeving from Vintage Connections in various sizes, All my old stuff was discolored and cracked. I was working on some of that just today,

38A9BD71-1805-431C-9ABA-A14A6F11185B.jpeg

Vintage Connections has been a good source. Should look fantastic. You should be done with it about the same time I visit my friend down there. Next winter :cheers:

Vintage Connections has been a good source. Should look fantastic. You should be done with it about the same time I visit my friend down there. Next winter :cheers:

I’d love to meet you guys when you come down. Hey your friend didn’t happen to snag that XS2 that was for sale down here did he? There was a nice one that just disappeared from Craigslist.

Ya I saw that one also. He was in Mexico and missed it. Llittle more than I would pay however.

Back