Wiring is this important??? Pics

triniriderz

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just starting to sort the basic loom out for a kick start system is the unit with the orange and black wire needed??? I have seen quite a few looms that do not show it!!.. Im running a Boyer Ing system and cant see what it will be used for???

any help..

2-16-4052.jpg

Black plastic unit top right...

Yep. The plastic black thing with the 3 wires is your pick-up. It goes to your ignition. The big connector with the 3 whites, green, and brown is your stator and goes to the reg/rec.
The metal piece about 9 o'clock are your brushes. Which are the brown and green coming out of the big connector. The brown goes to another brown in the harness and the green goes to the reg/rec as do the 3 whites. All 3 wires from the pick-up goes to the ignition.
Now again, I'm not really good on Boyer, but thats a what a stock igniton has.
Hope that helps little.

You don't need the CDI pickup with the two screws. Boyer is complete stand alone system but you do need the charging system. I just installed one on a bike and replace the STATOR /Charing system with a points one i had and sold the CDI one
GOOD LUCK WITH INSTALL

The TCI (Transistor Controlled Ignition) was the standard unit on post '78 bikes, runs off of the stator. The pick up coils pass info to the TCI so you don't have to manually adjust timing.
The Boyer sounds like you are losing some more weight, and one less thing to break. Which is good.

Daddycycles, The XS650 never had a CDI (Capitor Discharge Ignition). It has The TCI,(Transistor Controled Ignition). And Littlebill they started using the TCI in 80. Not 78.
Triniriderz, the TCI pick up is what that black thing is, it can be removed and sold. Your repair manual tells how to test to be sure it's good. That and the TCI box can bring $50 or more.

Yes same deal bikes after 1979 have the black box and the pickup like you have and you can just take the pickup off and don't use the black box and you can run the BOYER
I used a 1978 Stator and sold my stator with the TCI pickup and the black box together you get more money that way. Let me know what you are selling i may be interested in buying it.

I had an 80 up stator, took off the Pickup and sold the TCI box and pickup. I then put the stator on my 75. That way I didn't need the three nylon screws for the brush and use the brushes that interchange left to right. Now if I burn up the home built reg/rec I can plug in either of the 82 combo reg/rec's I have right in and work just fine.

AAHHHHHHHH!!!!!
Caught me the alshimer is kicking in... CDI TCI I GOT THE I RIGHT HAHA
The way i learned how to build bikes and cars was from CAR and MOTORCYLE MAGS and any manual i could get my hands on. Back in the 60's there were no schools that you could go to to learn motorcycles. I think the FL school started around mid 70's by that time i owned my Honda Dealership with my partner and was playing with HONDA Parts.
I started DRAG RACING in 1973 and blew up more parts trying to go fast and again it was all out of books guys didn't know how to make things go faster and cut this shaved that and blew up alot. I started DRAG RACING a TRIUMPH with a ROUTTS KIT (now i showed my age) and ran 13.2 in 1/4 and back then it was fast. Faster than most cars and made some money street racing in PHILLY every weekend . I retired from DRAG RACING about 6 years ago and never got to the speed that i wanted to get to 200 MPH in 1/4 mile but came close at 193 mph. My point is i still pick up shop manuals and read them to keep up on new TURBOS and motor performance changes . So if you can read it may take you some time and break some parts but you can do it yourself.

Back