working on float valves up side down?

BTW, it wasn't that difficult to work with the carbs upside down. A little tricky though to put back the inner screws of the float chamber body.

I have a choke lever that you press down. ???

Attachments

• IMG_2687.jpg
    IMG_2687.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 78
You have BS38s for sure but more info would be needed to positively identify what year they are. How many throttle cables do you have? 2 would make the carbs '75 or older. One would make them '76 or newer. The drain hose on the float bowl was used up until '77. Jetting specs would really tell us, especially the needle and needle jet numbers.

Since I bought the bike just two weeks ago, I haven't yet had the time to go through the bike. I wasn't even prepared to the malfunction petcock and float. I will check the carb more tomorrow.

If I press the choke down with the bike running, it stops. Can't even press a bit only. I also tried to use it when the engine was cold, but then it will not start.

Hmmm I remember now that I for sure have two throttle cables going from the grip, if that helps. But the choke I press down, and you says it should be pulled.

my bad, up is off on the choke on the BS38s I am only a minor dabbler in 38s I will cede all expertise to others. still a few basics do you have two matched "good" air cleaners? are the carbs synched? The early 38s (what you have) are the hardest to keep synched. because they are not directly connected, only tied by throttle cables. Something I need to know too; any way other than measuring the finger height above the idle stops to get close before a vacuum synch with these?

Match the freeplay in the throttle cables and the sync will be very close, if not right on. That makes each butterfly plate begin to open at the same time as you roll on the throttle.

Success! So far...

I adjusted the float height a bit, and it seems that now it seal properly. Fantastic! And it was quite easy working up side down.

/Martin

Back