XS Charge Ignition & PMA No Spark

raimitm

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just installed the XS charge ignition + PMA on my 83 xs650.
Bike started up first kick, charging good, but no headlight.
Found a thread and read to connect the yellow wire from old stator connector to one of the PMA wires.
Got the headlight working. Went for a quick ride earlier today and everything was fine.
I just went to start it a few hours later and forgot to turn the choke on, so it started up then died.
Turn choke on and kick, now no spark. The headlight still comes on when i kick it.
Checked the wires, everything is still connected.
My regulator isn't completely tight on the frame because the mounting bracket seems too big to fit where it used to, I ran a wire from the mounting bracket to ground to make sure it has a good connection.
Not sure if that's a problem.
If anyone has ideas on what to check first for this system to suddenly not work,
any info is appreciated, thanks

Just installed the XS charge ignition + PMA on my 83 xs650.
Bike started up first kick, charging good, but no headlight.
Found a thread and read to connect the yellow wire from old stator connector to one of the PMA wires.
Got the headlight working. Went for a quick ride earlier today and everything was fine.
I just went to start it a few hours later and forgot to turn the choke on, so it started up then died.
Turn choke on and kick, now no spark. The headlight still comes on when i kick it.
Checked the wires, everything is still connected.
My regulator isn't completely tight on the frame because the mounting bracket seems too big to fit where it used to, I ran a wire from the mounting bracket to ground to make sure it has a good connection.
Not sure if that's a problem.
If anyone has ideas on what to check first for this system to suddenly not work,
any info is appreciated, thanks

First make sure the battery is quality. Then the regulator is grounded in the plug. It is grounded IF the connections are all good.

Back