XS2 double disc?

prmurat

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Having a right arm problem and needing a 2 fingers brake I am thinking of installing a double disc on my -72 XS2... I already a have a complete TX fork, a spare double pistons caliper but I am wondering about the wheel... which, spokes, one will fit in there?? (I want to keep the stock look too!)
Thank you
Philippe

I Think I might try a different Master cylinder first. I think some thing in an 11mm bore size will give what you want. Try calling MMM at 650central. He runs Vintage Brake. Thats a site specificly for brakes.
I don't think they made the hubs and forks for a dual disc front brake until the 74 TX650A models.
If you TX forks have the mounts for the caliper on both fork lowers then you can use them.
Your 72 hub the brake disc mounts with a couple rubber parts between the disc and hub.
I think your 72 wheel uses a chrome steel rim. The 74 and up spoked front wheels used a flanged aluminum rim. They are both 36 spokes, swapping the chrome steel rim to a later hub should be just a simple relace of the steel rim to the later hub.
The later hubs had the disdc rotor bolt to the hub, no rubber parts, and you can bolt a disc to both sides of the hub.
Leo

Plus 1 on what Leo says. Is it a 74 up TX fork brakes and wheel? You may have to put the new 74-76 forks in your triples, some where along the line the steering stem gains 1/2" of length. The 72 and 73 are not readily adaptable to double disk. A different master, a lever with a distance set screw for best leverage and then try a four pot caliper might be the simplest ways to stronger brake action.

Back