xs650 front brake line

Jonaven

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 78 xs650 that i am doing the last things one, brakes are all thats needed till i can ride it, anyone know of a stainless steel brake line that fits these bikes(EX like a shadow 600 line) I just dont want to order from mikes xs causeh shipping prices are ridiculous and I live in Canada

Go to 650direct Web site and select the cndn flag upper right corner and you are dealing with cndn mikes.

I’ve used this eBay seller in the past with good results. Price is right too.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/123731940026?hash=item1cceff92ba:g:x8oAAOSwd9dcr23W

They will do a custom brake line to your requirements (and are in Canada too).

It just takes a bit of forethought determine length and figuring how you want the finished ends to be oriented.

My first line arrived damaged and they replaced no questions asked.

Last edited:
If you still have the stock MC where the line connects at the end, then you'll want a line with the ends oriented at 90° to one another. If you have an aftermarket MC or one from some other bike where the line connects to the front of it, you will want a line with the ends oriented parallel or the same to one another. Most of the cheap eBay lines many of us use are like this. For lower than stock bars (I run Euro bars), a 90cm line length is perfect.

$200SpecialClean4.jpg

MCFront2.jpg

83BrakeLineRoute.jpg

Do you happen to know what year

It's been a while and a different xs than my current ride. It was used, off EBay, fit fine with the Standard bars. Believe I had measured what I thought I would need overall and then found that one . XVS V- Star 650. Price was right for the time and need ($4.95 US), worked a treat too, I'd do it again.
I don't imagine the length for the VStar has changed.

Last edited:
I’ve used this eBay seller in the past with good results. Price is right too.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/123731940026?hash=item1cceff92ba:g:x8oAAOSwd9dcr23W

They will do a custom brake line to your requirements (and are in Canada too).

It just takes a bit of forethought determine length and figuring how you want the finished ends to be oriented.

My first line arrived damaged and they replaced no questions asked.
Do tell... How did you finish and orient the ends? Inquiring minds with poorly fit brake line want to know.

The Banjo for the master is a 20* and the banjo for the caliper is a 90* and i got it cut to almost the exact length with a bit of room incase, looks decent IMO
Is that 110 degrees from each other or 70 degree from each other? This is what I have from an $11.99 online brake line. It is a "tortured" routing. Thanks.
16585338805537440213749908407733.jpg

Read my post again (#6). You want/need a line with the ends oriented 90° to one another. Those cheapo eBay lines aren't, their ends are parallel to one another or in the same plane. To fit one to the stock style MC where it attaches to the end requires lots of line twisting, something a stainless line is rather reluctant to do, lol.

I don't know why they just don't make their lines with the ends oriented like 45° to one another. I think a line like that could be fitted to either type of MC (front or end line mount).

Read my post again (#6). You want/need a line with the ends oriented 90° to one another. Those cheapo eBay lines aren't, their ends are parallel to one another or in the same plane. To fit one to the stock style MC where it attaches to the end requires lots of line twisting, something a stainless line is rather reluctant to do, lol.

I don't know why they just don't make their lines with the ends oriented like 45° to one another. I think a line like that could be fitted to either type of MC (front or end line mount).
Thank you. I missed that on my android or didn't get there when I posed the question.

Do tell... How did you finish and orient the ends? Inquiring minds with poorly fit brake line want to know.
It was a while ago, but I seem to remember taking advice from the forum and used either thick gauge wire or a length of coat hanger to confirm the routing/ length.

I then selected what fittings worked with my caliper/ master cylinder combo (note, a 15 or 45 degree banjo can make a huge difference in fitment versus a straight one). The ends come pre-finished.

I went with a black line for stock appearance (I think the braided stainless looks out of place on the XS650).

The last option to select was the angle of orientation (0 / 45 / 90 / 180 degrees). This was the hardest to part to wrap my head around (looking back I was overthinking things). I eventually settled on the 90 degree and it was the right choice.

Last edited:
Back