XS650 starting problem PLEASE HELP ME :)

rusty577

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I really need your guys help.

As some of you may now no Ive just got a barn find 75 xs650 that hadnt been started for 15yrs.

Ill start from the beginning

I dont no much about these bikes so I did the normal stuff. cleaned oil filters, changed oil, static timing, cam timing, cam tention, valve clearances, cleaned adjusted points gap. I gave her fresh fuel and after and hour of kicking her over and double checking everything :banghead: I pulled the clutch in and she started first kick.

I couldnt believe I had missed something so simple. I thought to myself there must be a clutch safety switch.

Anyway I started her 5 more times on the first kick with the clutch in.

I left her overnight and got back to it today. I went to tune and sync the carbs.

After starting it a few times again with the clutch in during the tuning. I went to start it again and the kick starter went free. :yikes:

I let the clutch out and tried and it kicked over like normal but of course it didnt start without the clutch in.

After alot of research..... I found its normal for the kickstarter to go free if the clutch is pulled in as its connected via the clutch.

My clutch must of been stuck from sitting, letting me kick her over with the clutch in.

Thing is I got no Idea why she wont start without the clutch in. Now I cant start her at all.

Its really starting to do my head in. It was running beautifully.

And yes Ive got the kill switch on and 12v at the coils.

Please I really need an experts help.

Posted via Mobile

There is no reason the clutch makes a difference, as you said you can't start kick an XS with the clutch in. So yeah you have sticky plates or a severely mis adjusted cable/mechanism. It's remotely possible you have a grounding issue. Pulling on the clutch cable is improving a ground path through the handlebars. Out there but weird stuff does happen. I would carefully go through and check all your ground connections. The ground strap from battery to frame sometime rots internally. Does your electric start work? If not, why not? There should be several ground connections up at the head frame engine mount, check they are still there. Are you using a known good battery properly installed?

Thanks for the reply. I no its really weird but no word of a lie it was starting every kick with the clutch in before the plates came unstuck and now I cant kick it with the clutch in. She ran beautifully.

Im going to go over the hole ignition wiring again tomorrow.

How many earths are in the head like? I have the head light removed and someone has been in there as there is no blinkers and the gauges are aftermarket.

Its just crazy if you have spark, fuel and comp it should go.... I just dont understand how it started so easily with the clutch in. :banghead:

Posted via Mobile

Try adjusting the clutch screw on the side of the case. Like GGGGary said it could be severly mis adjusted and be engauged now that everything has freed up.

Since you are going over the wiring check the wiring diagram forum theres a lot of schematics on there.

Thanks I will look up the wiring diagram.

Another thing the electric starter works without the clutch in but of course doesnt fire. Maybe I should try the electric starter with the clutch in and see if it fires.

I donno I was so excited having it run so nice... now this lol spark, fuel but no start. Like it was before I was pulling the clutch it for it to fire.

Posted via Mobile

You say 12 volts at the coil, is it a full measured 12 volts? Do you have strong spark at the plugs?

The head stay has several ground connections. black wire, big solderless lugs under two bolts. and one to the condenser pack.
I would consider jumper wires ground and 12 volt battery to coil see what happens. Don't leave the + 12 on for long with the engine not running, you can burn out an ignition coil. The original; points, condensers, coils, plug wires, caps, plugs, are all suspect. At best when new, a points ignition is sketchy for starting. Add 30 years and all bets are off.

I get what your saying about it being old. But it ran sooo nicely so many times. 1st kick every time, just with the clutch in.

Its getting strong spark.

Tomorrow Im gunna go over the wiring again as it has been messed with and didnt see any earth connect behind the head light.

I will also adjust the clutch as per manual

Posted via Mobile

Back