XS650B Front Brake

Buckminster

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I am trying to get a XS650B with 16,000mi up and running that has not been driven (regularly) for about 20 years. I am on a shoe string budget but know to slow down for a brake job. I finally got the thing tuned enough to start driving it around the neighborhood and noticed that the front brake was slightly binding. Upon closer inspection, there was a lot of old sludge build-up. Once cleaned, I am still having a hard time telling what needs rebuilding vs. replacing. I vaguely remember putting in new caliper seals about 10 years ago. Other than that, I believe everything is original OEM parts. I’m using a Clymer manual and will reference some of the specs below. I have several questions for anyone with some front brake experience under their belt. I’ll try to keep it simple:
1. My rotor thickness in shy just of 0.25” but visually looks ok. My manual says replace if less than 0.26”. Can anyone confirm the minimum depth until replacement?
2. My caliper pistons have very minor pitting. See photo. As far as how they were wearing the seals, the 10 year old caliper main seals looked ok but the dust seals looked worn (they may have been older.) My first choice to reuse if possible, my second choice is the stainless set on ebay.
3. I was going to order the caliper seal kit from Mikes unless anyone got a good reason not to.
4. My master cylinder body at the handlebars has stripped mounting threads at one bolt and the overall condition is questionable. See photo. Has anyone had any luck tapping the aluminum for the next bolt size bigger? If I were to replace it, am I better off getting a new cylinder body from Mike’s or finding a used original?
5. I have no idea how to gauge the condition of the piston assembly. See photo. My manual basically says replace anything that looks worn. The rubber parts looks good to me but there is minor surface rusting on the shaft. If it can/should be rebuilt, are there any really good kits out there?
6. My manual also says replace brake lines every four years. They look good and I do not see any checking. Is there a more a cost effective rule of thumb on when to replace?
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Responding by corresponding numbers may help avoid potential confusion. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Oops! Here's the pics. Again, any help would be awesome.

Attachments

• cylinder body.jpg
    cylinder body.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 119
  • piston assembly.jpg
    piston assembly.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 116
  • pistons.jpg
    pistons.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 117
Back